someone please help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crujonescrouch

Reaction score
My wife andI recently got two bunniesfrom a local pet store. They are supposed to be Dwarf Lops,whether or not they are I am not sure because I do not know how to tellall the specifics and they are still young. We got them inEarly February and they told us that they were 6 weeks old.They are around 3 months old now. The main reason I amposting this is becasue we need help. These bunnies areshowing no affection toward us in any way whatsoever, they only timethey are ever nice to us is if we are feeding them food from ourhand. When we go to pet them the cower and sometimes runaway. There were a couple time I had to pick them up to getthem out of the cage in order to clean it, and it seems like since thatpoint they have been scared of me. They are gettting betterwith the litter box training, but I was wondering if anyone out therecan give us advice on how to gain trust with these bunnies and get toapoint where they will play with us and kiss us and snuggle with uslike everyone else always talks about. I'm not sure whatwe're doing wrong or what we have to do, someone please help.Also, they are dirty on their feet and there butts from sitting in thelitter box at tiems before it got cleaned out, and I am not sure whtathe best way to clean them is.

christmasbanner2.JPG

Now, don't hold me to this, but they look like minilops to me, not "dwarfs," which pet stores have a tendency to call alltheir stock for sale in an effort to market them that much morequickly. I mean, who wants a "big" rabbit?

Minis, if purebred, will weigh in between 5 to 8 lbs or so as adults, with 5.5 to 6 or so being ideal.

Soiled fur can be cleaned with a little soap and water on acloth. Make sure they are dried well. It is notnecessary to bathe them, nor is it recommended. Staining canbe removed with a little hydrogen peroxide and/or white vinegar,followed up with a dusting of corn starch or powder.Comb/brush out after-wards.

Some buns more skittish than others, particularly does. Donot move quickly around them. Talk in high pitched, womanlyvoice with a lot of baby talk and coo-cooing, which they seem torespond well to. Always approach from the front, where theycan see you, and not from the rear, which may elicit their "flight froma predator response" Encourage them with specialtreats you may have found they enjoy. No loudmusic, loud, sudden sounds, but have them in a location where they canacclimate to people being around....are but a few recommendations Imight suggest.

If they are not siblings, and even then, you may find that as theyapproach puberty, they may begin to fight. To eliminate, orminimize, such behavior; and for reasons of good health and longevity,you might want to consider neutering them sometime between six monthsold, and no later than two years of age. Unbred does areextremely susceptible to uterine cancer, a very quick, and almostalways fatal condition.

Buck

Carolyn was saying in another thread as well, thatit is not uncommon for buns who have buddies to give all of theiraffection to eachother and none to you...just get in there and love on'em.

I hope your rabbits get better with you. and i hope they love you as much as you love them.
let us no how it goes!
lots of love
lauren and ebs

I had gotten my two girls in December of last year,after a few months their personalities had drastically changed andthought OH NO, mah bunnies don't love me :( Now I believethey were almost toooooo young for me to have, they spentmost of their time snoozin and tranced.. For instance Jade is now goingon 4ish months and is ONLY now laying her head down for a pet andJezebel will not tolerate being picked up, but instead makes a decisionto come to me and nudge me as if to say "well, I'm here NOW! pet me,pet me pet me pwwwweeeeeeeeeease" They take a lot of patienceand I understand how frustrating it is for you to not get immediateattention from them-but give them time and you will be amazed anddelighted by the growth in their personalities :)As far ashangin out in the litter box, I was a little concerned too with mine,but after time and Jade felt more secure in her surroundings she lefther "safety box" and now does full "flops" all over the joint!

Cher

Latest posts

Back