Bandit: rabbity antics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, thank you for all Bandit's birthday wishes. I have been meaning to update with photos etc, but obviously haven't gotten around to that yet. Things have been going pretty well. Bandit is fantastically adorable as always, we went to bunny club last week and he was so well behaved and we had a great time. He really is such a good bunny. While he was sprawled out in front of me I noticed a tiny red patch on one of his hocks, and he has tiny bare patches on both. So I'm currently monitoring those. They didn't look fresh, so it's likely he's had them a while, but I want to be sure they don't get bigger. I've never noticed them before because the fur covers them well unless it's parted in just the right way.

I went away a couple weekends ago to do some bird surveys so I had a friend from work come over to look after Bandit. On the Sunday I came home to find he'd mucked around a bit, spilled some water and his pellets which resulted in a giant swollen pile of mushy pellets next to the water bowl, lol. I gave him more pellets that night to make up for it :p

I hope everyone is well, I will hopefully update again soon with pictures!

Aw, what a cute little bunny-sized cake carrot! Somebunny had a great birthday, yes he did, you can see the joy in his eyes :p Did you even cut off the sides of the carrot so he only gets premium inner carrot?

I think most all bunnies have a tiny bald patch on their hocks, Merlin has had his forever. As long as it's not red/inflamed or getting bigger and balder, it's just a harmless calluse. Bandit looks so handsome as always. More pix please! :)

Funny story about Bandit. He has a big cardboard box pushed up against one of the lounge chairs. Often he jumps onto the seat of the lounge chair and then straight over the arm rest onto the box. Earlier in the day he had been playing with the box and pushed it away from the chair a bit to get behind it. Five minutes later when he was tearing around the room, he leaped onto the chair, then over the arm rest and dropped straight down onto the floor because the box wasn't as close as usual. I laughed so hard (after making sure he was ok of course). Then I pushed the box back :p He seemed a little put off for a bit after that, haha.

The same thing almost happened again today (the first instance was a couple days ago), but this time he put his front paws up on the arm rest and looked over first :D

In other news, I experienced some scary computer issues yesterday, which threatened that my hard drive with all my bird photos on it was on the brink of dying. So I raced out to get an additional external HD (current one wasn't big enough) and spent the next two hours, through 10+ error messages backing up all my photos from this year. Thankfully I got it all, now I'm working on the photos from my laptop since that's well overdue for a back-up too. I'm very lucky it wasn't just dead.

It's been a while since I've posted anything. Things have been going well, Bandit is his usual lounging and mischievous self. We went to the vet just over a week ago to get his annual calici vaccination and health check. He was absolutely disgusted with being at the vet, most moody I've seen him there :p As it turns out, he's starting to develop a molar spur on one side. The vet said we'd caught it early so with some different hay added to his diet he should wear it down fine. :) He's been eating only meadow hay, which is good, but it's quite fine and not tough at all. So I've bought some tough oaten for him to eat as well, will keep a nice balance mixing the two.

I am so bad at keeping you guys updated with pictures! All is well with Bandit though, we've both had a very relaxing day today. I lounged on the couch all day reading and he's had free range all day (12 hours or so). Usually it's 3-5 hours after work or in between things that I've got going on, but it's my day off, I've had an exhausting work week and it was far too hot outside to do anything, so we've both been relaxing in the air con all day :D He is super cute as ever, and has enjoyed lots of head rubs. Unfortunately the lettuce that I bought only a day or two ago has partially frozen in the fridge so is no longer any good, which is a shame because he only got one leaf off of it.

Lazy bunny from one of the recent hot days :D I love dead bunny flops! I rarely get a chance to photograph them because he often shifts when disturbed, but he flopped right next to where I was sitting and I luckily had my phone on me at the time. So cute!

banditlazysm.jpg

I would say he looks sooo cozy... but he's laying on a hard floor :p Though being hot there, I'm sure a cool floor is much appreciated by the little guy.

Bandit doesn't like laying on soft things, it's really weird. He might sit on a couch for a few minutes, but he prefers the hard floor, on the vinyl surface of his cage to his area rug, soft cushions or fleece (which he just pushes out the way).

About two weeks ago I changed the location of Bandit's condo, it's still in the same room, just against a different wall and facing perpendicular to how it was. Ever since I've done that, he's been spending so much more time in it. Which isn't a bad thing I suppose, I'm guessing that he just likes that corner as more of a safe space so doesn't feel the need to leave it.

For example, today I've been home from work for 5 hours with the door to his condo open, and he hasn't been out once. He's still eating well, and hopping up and down the different levels, he just doesn't come out till late in the evening. It's weird. Usually he was ready to get out almost as soon as I got home and sprawl out somewhere else, now he just stays in his condo. It's a little sad not to have him bouncing around the place all throughout the day. Though I suppose it makes me feel a little better for if I am out the whole day, he's not missing out on exercise because he's not out and about anyway :p

My life right now, is literally vacuuming twice a day, and brushing Bandit 2-3 times a day. When does it end, and how is he not bald?!

:vacuum::vacuum::vacuum:

Guys, I'm so excited! I just found a breeder of Somali cats (my all time favourite breed) in my state! :D Not that it matters since I don't think a cat is on the cards for at least 1 1/2 - 2 years, but still! It's seriously the most exciting thing ever, poor Bandit would think I didn't love him anymore if I hadn't just spent the last 15 minutes brushing him, because of these cats that I can't even have yet, lol.

On the other hand, buying from a breeder is difficult for me because I'm also huge on supporting rescues, but I'd never find a Somali there anyway. There'll be more cats eventually anyway, so plenty of time to rescue :D So yes, I'm stupidly excited for a cat that won't even be born for another year and a half at least :p

Good news everyone! I have found a brush that works wonders on Bandit!! It's amazing and I only tested it for a minute.

I decided to randomly browse the pet aisle at the supermarket (which I don't usually do because it's all dog/cat food/toys and usually nothing decent. But since I've been looking all over for a brush for Bandit I figured it was worth a shot. I had been looking at the Zoom Groom for cats and the Hair Buster comb. I can't get shipping for the Hair Buster here, and the zoom groom was about $16 and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money on it if it wasn't going to be really great. Then I saw this brush at the supermarket, it's actually marketed for removing hair from furniture etc, but it's silicone/rubber like the Zoom Groom is, just with fine bristles. Add on to the fact it was only $4.95, I bought it straight away.

It's probably a little bit large for small rabbit, but medium to large breeds would be fine with it, and you definitely wouldn't want to use it on long fur. The complaints I see about the Zoom Groom seem in involve the hair not sticking to the brush, but with this, because of the many fine bristles, it seems to stick well. You still get floaties, but you're always going to I think. In any case, I'm really excited about this. Yesterday after work while Bandit and I were lounging, he did a little bit of loud grinding which had me concerned. So we've upped the grooming from 2-3/day to 3-4/day, and I've also split his 1/4 cup of pellets into two meals today (morning and evening) to try to increase his morning hay intake. So far today I haven't heard any grinding, which is good. I might give some more feedback on the brush after I've used it a bit more in a few days.

I've taken some pictures of the brush, the pic of Bandit is from Bunny Club a few weeks ago :)

Bandit bunny clunb.jpg

bandit brush.jpg

bandit brush2.jpg

I was looking at those online too, and wondering if they would really work well or not. I have yet to find a brush that I like any better than just using my hand. Might have to give one a try now :)

I was looking at those online too, and wondering if they would really work well or not. I have yet to find a brush that I like any better than just using my hand. Might have to give one a try now :)

Yes I was the same, any brush I have used has always been in conjunction with hand grooming. With this one I don't need to. The main bristles are quite soft, but I suppose because of the material they grip the fur well and tug on it softly. I've found the bristles on the top ends are a little stronger and are good for getting deeper into the really difficult fluffy bits such as butt fluff just around the tail.

Latest posts

Back