Painful/Tender Bald Patch on Leg

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumu

Reaction score
Hi there, my rabbit was recently spayed and has been recovering very well except I noticed over the weekend that she has developed a bald patch on the outside side of her leg. Today I looked at it again, and the bald patch appears a bit bigger in area and pinkish. When my husband and I try to examine it or touch the area, my bunny flinches as if in pain. Should I be worried? The earliest we can see a vet is late this week! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! I'm really worried...

I'm going to try to take a better photo of it with my real camera cause these aren't very good but this is what my phone captured. Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!!

20130407_211840.jpg

20130407_211859.jpg

20130407_211938.jpg

It looks so... perfect!
Can you phone your vet and ask if they had your rabbit on IV fluids for the surgery?
That would explain the perfect patch of missing fur, as well as it being tender and slightly painful.

Thanks so much for your advice. I will call my vet to ask in the morning. Hopefully it's what you think it may be and nothing serious. I really appreciate your prompt replies and input. I would likely have lost sleep over this tonight from my worry. Thanks again!!

Other then that its hard to tell what it would be. I dont see swelling or crusties. Normal skin colour. Hair loss isn't patchy or elsewhere.
I would call the vet and confirm and if not that, then just keep an eye on it for now. Its right where the lateral saphenous vein would be accessed too so...

It does look like her fur was shaved for an IV catheter. With such rectanuglar borders I've pretty much ruled out my initial suspicion of ringworm.
As for her flinching in pain, I recently discovered what turned out to be an old break that had healed poorly in my rabbit's foot (I adopted her from a rescue who had taken her after she'd been found on a golf course, so we only know so much about her history). At first I was convinced it was broken right then because she wouldn't let me touch it. After I put her down she thumped at me, hopped away and proceeded to leap up to her favorte hiding spot. I realized she just didn't like me handling her feet moreso than I was actually causing her pain my touching it. This might be the case with your rabbit. If she did have a catheter in the area might be a bit tender for a day or so, but shouldn't be for long after.

You might want the vet to examine it. I have heard of some vets using too much force when restraining animals for surgery (especially since rabbits are smaller and more delicate than most cats) and causing breaks/torn ligaments/soft tissue injury, etc. It does look like it was shaved for IV access. If it is painful after 4 days or so, it could be something more serious than just pain from having a catheter.

Latest posts

Back