VA Rabbit Savvy Vets Y

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnydude

Reaction score
The followingis the House Rabbit Society link for Rabbit Veterinarians in Virginia:

Northern:
http://www.rabbitsinthehouse.org/vets.html

Southern:
http://www.rabbit.org/care/vets_svirginia.html

Thislink isfor an old, but excellent list (courtesy of Petbunny mailing list subscribers). Please post any known updates in this thread.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/Vet_VA.html

With the permission of the Petbunny moderator, we have reposted those Petbunny Listings here:
  1. [font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"][font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"]
  2. Vicki Kondik, DVM
    Towne Animal Clinic
    338 E. Market St.
    Leesburg
    (703) 777-6350
    Submitted: 4/03
    Need directions?
  3. Old Dominion Animal Hospital
    6719 Lowell
    McLean, VA 22101
    (703) 356-5582
    Comments: Exotic vets are Drs. Craig Felton, Sandy Pickard, and Stacia Salisbury.
    Need directions?
  4. Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center
    Pender Veterinary Clinic
    4001 Legato Road
    Fairfax, VA 22033
    (703) 654-3100
    Recommended by: Deena Grinbaum
    Comments from Cindy: Dr. Stahl, who was the vet originally recommended, is no longer at the clinic. Other vets at the clinic who see rabbits are Ben Haas, DVM and Meredith Davis, DVM. There is a third full-time exotics vet. Dr. Haas works with exotics part-time. We don't have a personal recommendation for either of these vets. Hours: M-F 9-8, Sat 9-5
    Comments from Deena: near Fair Oaks Mall
    Comments from Jennie: Pricey.
    Submitted: 5/04
    Need directions?
  5. Dr. Rose Ann M. Fiskett
    Potomac Valley Veterinary Hospital
    9553 Braddock Rd.
    Fairfax, VA 22032
    (703) 425-PETS
    Recommended by: Anne Witty
    Submitted: 3/96
    Need directions?
  6. Dr. Valerie Campbell
    Dr. Wendy Behm
    Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates
    120 E. Cornwell Lane
    Purcellville, VA 22132
    (540) 338-7387
    Need directions?
  7. Dr. Bonnie Brown
    Jolly Pond Veterinary Hospital
    3800 Longhill Road
    Williamsburg, VA 23188
    (757) 565-6000
    Recommended by: Ruthann Grabowski
    Comments: Specializes in rabbits; treats 5-6 rabbits per day, supports HRS and Tidewater Rabbit Rescue.
    Submitted: 12/03
    Need directions?
  8. Peter Fisher, D.V.M.
    Herbert Hulls, D.V.M.
    Pet Care Veterinary Hospital
    5201 Virginia Beach Blvd.
    Virginia Beach, VA
    (757) 473-0111
    Recommended by: Karen Calabro
    Comments: These two men have kept my buns happy and healthy since 1986...in addition to educating the public through the Hare Care seminars Dr. Fisher conducts for free every couple of months, the talk radio shows, and the noon television news shows plus through the articles Dr. Fisher writes for the various exotic vet journals. They have both given up their time to perform surgery on emergency cases...and then, to barely charge for any of the services performed. I can't praise these two men enough.
    Submitted: 8/01
    Need directions?
  9. Dr. Scott Stahl
  10. Dr. David Crum
    Stahl Exotic Animal Veterinary Services (SEAVS)
    111-A Center St-South
    Vienna, VA 22180
    (703) 281-3750
    Recommended by: Vineeta Anand
    Comments: Drs. Stahl and Crum are among the finest team of rabbit veterinarians I know. I have been taking my rabbits to Dr. Stahl since 1993, and trust him implicitly. He is gentle, compassionate, and has wonderful bedside manners. The clinic has state of the art equipment and resources. Dr. Crum, a soft-spoken man with a rabbit, ferrets, dogs and birds at home, who graduated at the top of his class from the Cornell Veterinary School in 2002, is a fast learner, and fills in for Dr. Stahl a lot. Hours: M,W,F 9-5; Tu,Th 9-8; Sat 9-12 noon.
    Submitted: 3/04
    Need directions?
  11. Richard L. Kitterman, D.V.M.
    Oxbridge Veterinary Clinic
    10005 Hull Street Rd.
    Richmond, VA 23236
    (804) 745-4243
    Recommended by: John Ealding
    Comments: He [did] surgery on Serenity to remove some suspicious lumps under her eyelid. The surgery was done expertly and she is recovering faster than I would have thought possible. He is a very sensitive and caring doctor: I very much like the way that he both talks about and handles all my rabbits. He is also an open and excellent communicator. He is very easy to talk with and his follow-up calls have been exemplary. Dr. Kitterman has done everything anyone could ask for from a vet -- and more.
    Submitted: 3/04
    Need directions?
  12. Dr. Judith Kyle
    Dr. Molly Herdic
    Spotsylvania Animal Hospital
    9133 Courthouse Road
    Spotsylvania, VA 22553
    (540) 582-6370
    Recommended by: Patricia Smith
    Comments: Dr. Kyle is wonderful, and so is Dr. Herdic. Both of them worked with SA during his last bout with stasis, when he was mourning the death of his first bondmate, Hermionee. I was so afraid I would lose him, it was awful. Not only were they caring, but their expertise was wonderful, and they allowed me to be with SA while they not only administered sub-Q fluids, but showed me how to do it. They also kept him for three days to make sure that he was coming out of the episode, and that it would not recur. I did have to bring his greens and hay in, but that was a small price to pay, and their fees are very reasonable. I plan to take my year old female, and SA's new bondmate, Spookie, there for her upcoming spay.
    Submitted: 9/04
    Need directions?
  13. Christine G. Huffine, DVM
    Companion Pet Care Clinic
    29 Wildwood Rd.
    Salem, VA 24153
    (540) 375-0350
    Recommended by: Christina
    Submitted: 2/05
    Need directions?[/size][/font][/size][/font]
And, the followinglist is from the Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians: (Please be sure that vets on this listtreat rabbits and not just birds or reptiles).

Again, please post any additions, commentsor updates in this thread.

Thanks!

Virginia

Mark Finkler, DVM
Roanoke Animal Hospital
2814 Franklin Road, SW
Roanoke, VA 24014
Phone: 540-343-8021
Email: [email protected]

Peter Fisher, DVM
Pet Care Veterinary Hospital
5201-A Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
Phone: 757-473-0111

Rose Ann M. Fiskett, VMD
9553 Braddock Road
Fairfax, VA 22032
Phone: 703-425-7387

Mary Goldberg, DVM
5016 New Kent Road
Richmond, VA 23225
Phone: 804-827-4473

Carla Kasaback, DVM
Virginia Beach Veterinary Hospital
2013 Pleasure House Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23455
Phone: 757-460-3308

A Towne Animal Clinic
338 E Market St
Leesburg, VA 20176 - 4101
(703) 777-6350

Blue Ridge Veterinary Assoc
120 E Cornwell Ln
Purcellville, VA 20132 - 3075
(540) 338-7387

Ah ha!! Dr. Kitterman!!
My most used Vet back when I lived in MidlothianChesterfeild (Way before I got Bun-Bun.)!! Unfortuantly, I live inMathews County now. But since he knows us well, actually "knew" uswell, I'll try making an appointment for Bun - since hecontinues to have chalky pee resadue and continueos sneezing.

BTW, I live in Richmond V.A. of course.;)

Thanx guys!!

http://www.houserabbitsanctuary.org/resources.html#Recommended%20Veterinarians%20of%20Maryland,%20DC%20and%20Virginia

Hartwood Animal Hospital, Fredericksburg, VA

Dr. Laura Lathan of South Arundel Veterinary Hospital, Edgewater, MD, 301-261-4388

Dr. Tracy Barlup, PhD of Longmeadow Animal Hospital, Hagerstown, Maryland

Dr. Keith Gold of Chadwell Animal Hospital, Abingdon, Maryland

Dr. Marcie Engel of Brookeville Veterinary Hospital, Brookeville, Maryland, 301-774-9698
[size=-2]**provides discount rabbit spays and neuters to the public through SNAP, Inc. (call us for more info, 301-745-3962)[/size]

Drs. Scott Stahl, Lisa Carr, and David Crum of SEAVS, Vienna, Virginia

Dr. Larry Giebel of Quince Orchard Veterinary Hospital, North Potomac, Maryland, 301-258-0850

Dr. Claire Godwin of Laytonsville Veterinary Practice, Laytonsville, Maryland, 301-948-0158

Dr. Valerie Campbell and Dr. Wendy Behm of Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates, Purcellville, Virginia

Great List! Seavs Has now moved to Fairfax County just this year.

4105 Rust Rd

Fairfax, VA 22030
Ph. 703-281-3750
Fax: 703-281-3730

Hours of Operation
M,W,F 8:00AM - 5:00PM
T, TH 8:00AM - 8:00PM
SAT 8:30AM - 1:00PM

We love Dr. Crum. he helped us with Misty

[font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"][font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"]Eastern Exotic Veterinary Center
Pender Veterinary Clinic
4001 Legato Road
Fairfax, VA 22033

Dr. Kelley McDonald treated Ronnie for head tilt in 2008 and for molar spurs in 2010. We are pleased with the results. Dr. Meredith Davis gave Ronnie his yearly check up and diagnosed the molar spurs when we noticed him go off pellets. She is very knowledgeable and nice.

[/size][/font][/size][/font][font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"][font="Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif"][size="-1"]Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates
120 E. Cornwell Lane
Purcellville, VA 22132

We had both our boys neutered here in 2007 at a low cost of $105 each. We dropped off and picked up, but did not meet the vets.
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

This is NOT a rabbit vet!!
Dr. Rose Ann M. Fiskett
9553 Braddock Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22032
(703) 425-PETS
Recommended by: Anne Witty
Submitted: 3/96

This is the email I just got from Dr Cheema. Besides the bad english, the fee is rediculouse and he states they do not have a certificate and "But we can handle at least rabbit Neutering" This vet needs to be removed from the list. The vet listed above is not there.

"
[email protected]
Hi,
We are not board certified exotic Veterinarians But we can handle at least rabbit Neutering. I do not think there is any vaccines available at this time.
Price is going to be around 350-400 depending what does he need.

thanks,

Dr Cheema"

Elton Vyfhuis, DVM
from Paws Purrs and Exotics Animal Hospital
133 S. Peyton Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Phone: 703-549-PAWS (7297)

Their hours are business hours so it is hard to take your pet to Dr. Vyfhuis after work but he is great with rabbits.
He spayed my little lady bun when she was 6 months old and she did great. He also works with the Animal Welfare League of Arlington, which helps pet families with low income get access to important medical treatments. This means great savings for expensive procedures such as spaying and others. Dr. Vyfhuis saved my bun because I was not able to afford the expensive fees that other clinics asked for Pil's spaying.

My bunny is currently being treated by Dr Torres at Pender Exotics Veterinary Centre
4001 Legato Road Fairfax, Virginia 22033

My bunny has Gastrointestinal Stasis and Dr. Torres has her on a treatment of care food and medicine. She is not responding to treatment and might have to be hospitalized. I will let you know how things go.
Dr. Torres is a very nice Dr, friendly, and patient. I hope her treatment works and Pil Suk Bun gets better.
This hospital is great because it has long after hours, they are open until 9pm. I had to rush my bunny to the hospital on late friday afternoon (you can image the traffic I faced in this region!) and this was the only hospital open after regular working hours. If I had waited the night my bunny might not have survived.

My bunny is currently being treated by Dr Torres at Pender Exotics Veterinary Centre
4001 Legato Road Fairfax, Virginia 22033

My bunny has Gastrointestinal Stasis and Dr. Torres has her on a treatment of care food and medicine. She is not responding to treatment and might have to be hospitalized. I will let you know how things go.
Dr. Torres is a very nice Dr, friendly, and patient. I hope her treatment works and Pil Suk Bun gets better.
This hospital is great because it has long after hours, they are open until 9pm. I had to rush my bunny to the hospital on late friday afternoon (you can image the traffic I faced in this region!) and this was the only hospital open after regular working hours. If I had waited the night my bunny might not have survived.

Just an Update***

Pil Suk, my bun, is doing great. Dr Torres was wonderful. She allowed me to send her emails with updates on my bunny, even phoned me a couple of times just to follow up on Pil Suk's progress. I am very thankful for the personal treatment Dr. Torres offered to my family. She was very patient with me and all my questions and helped us get through a very difficult time.

Latest posts

Back