Questions again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
Where I live I know for sure we have Wild Buns. I would LOVE to take AJ in the "yard" but with them roaming around at dusk, night, and dawn and unsure of exactly where they roam, I am wondering how safe it would be to let him explore outside on leash and in harness?*

We also have squirrels and birds and the spot I am thinking of is in front of my flower now herb garden surrounded by big rocks. BUDDY my dog sometimes uses the bathroom in that area sometimes but not for #2. So would it be ok to let AJ out on leash and harness or play it safe and keep him in as a precaution because of the wild Buns.

I use feline pine and hay on top of copy paper in AJ's corner litter box and was wondering if instead of throwing away his litter box contents when cleaning it if it would be ok to just add it to a spot in a hole in the garden to compost? (Or a few spots)

Are certain veggies able to be frozen and not be nasty when defrosted to give to your Bun? That way summer harvest can last into winter some especially when it comes to their favorites.

Are green beans able to be frozen? AJ LOVES them! Zucchini?

4. Kinda thinking out loud

Jealousy between animals. Buddy my dog has chilled out on some of the jealousy but I have now noticed that he is "intimidating" AJ from a distance whether on purpose i dont know.. He will also "chase" AJ but not sure if it's meant in malice or just play and AJ being a prey animal freaks and now is leery about coming out of his cage when Buddies in sight. I kinda don't blame him. AJ is 2lb 2 oz and Buddy is 11 lbs of spoiled Chihuahua. Anything besides what I have been doing to help the situation? I try to include Buddy when he's curious when cleaning AJ'S cage and give him a couple Bun pellets for being good since he won't leave me alone til I do. He's backed off on this. When AJ first came I let Buddy interact with him and curbed ANY sign of negative behavior. I still do this and i refer to each of them as their Brother to each of them. I think Buddy is trying to play but AJ isn't a dog so he's not understanding it that way. Not sure. I'm baffled

Putting your rabbit in contact with wild animals of course mean you potentially put him into contact with illnesses. It depends where you live. In France, where we have myxomatosis and both of the variations of VHD, I wouldn't risk it. You have to think about the risks first. I don't think my rabbits would enjoy a harness and a leash either, but that depends on the rabbit.

You can put the litter in the compost. No problem.

Don't give frozen vegetables to your bunny! Frozen vegetables aren't meant to be consumed raw and they don't have the same nutritional value as fresh ones. You have to give what's available depending on the season - some months are more exciting than others but it's fine. Don't give a lot of green beans or zucchini and not too often, those really aren't ideal for rabbits (the pips in zucchinis like in cucumbers contain poison, by the way and green beans are not really good for the guts). Look up the house rabbit society list for vegetables.

I don't believe for one second in 'jealousy' from animals. I do believe in pray drive, though. Don't let your dog with the rabbit without supervision. Don't let the dog chase the rabbit EVER, it's super stressful and could end with a heart attack. Dogs who don't do a flawless 'down stay' shouldn't be in the same room with a bunny and a dog who 'won't leave you alone' if he isn't given something he wants doesn't sound like a good candidate to me as 'no' and 'leave it' is the basis of obedience training (but you can work on this of course). A chihuahua is small, but it's still a dog and he could seriously harm your rabbit. Please be careful.

Aki

By frozen I meant veggies that were fresh from the garden then frozen. Not bought frozen. I do not but frozen veggies for AJ unless I am absolutely desperate on for greens and that has NEVER happened yet.

As far as Buddy. He and AJ are never together alone where they can get at each other. And they are ALWAYS supervised when AJ is out, like now licking me and finally playing with something...Buddys training is good. His down stays and sit stays are something to be desired but his LEAVE IT is ROCK SOLID and he doesn't have a No as most know it but he has a certain sound I make usually and he stops anything he's doing 99% of the time.

The part that makes me the most leery of taking AJ out is the diseases from the other animals but at the same time I know he would have fun exploring because he's such a curious little guy. Will talk to my Vet about any diseases that he could contract. Til then he stays inside.

I will look up more about green beans and that. I only gave them to him because I read they can have them. Same with zucchini. But will check again. I don't want to hurt him.

It's weird though cause he likes green beans and cucumbers.

Latest posts

Back