Companions - must-have or optional?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark

Reaction score
Hello there! My wife and I are new bunny parents (I am, at least - she had rabbits as a girl), and we're very keen to provide the very best environment for our beloved Kimchi.

I have been reading forums and books about rabbits. There is a lot of great information out there, including on these forums!

We are about to move and we're going to take the opportunity to really try to bunny-proof the entire place. As I type this out, I realize we'll need to buy an additional baby gate or two (the new kitchen has lots of wood cabinets to chew on, down low). We keep her in a puppy run rather than a cage (inside the house), in which she has a large litter box, lots of hay and water, a box or two to hide out in, a bed, toys, and some room to run. Even other rabbit-owning friends of ours say how spoiled she is! This make us happy.

However, both of us work full time, and are out of the house during the workday (and then some). We worry that she will be lonely, and we've read that they should have a companion. I know there are steps to take to bond rabbits, and I think we can follow the instructions and could do that.

More than anything we want to ensure that the rabbit is "happy" to the extent that she can be. We don't have kids or other pets, so we spend a lot of time with her in the evenings and on the weekends. We let her out of the pen as much as we can afford to, in terms of being with her and keeping an eye on her (we don't let her out unsupervised, especially in our only partially bunny-proofed place). She rewards us with many energetic "laps" around the room, binkies and all. It's great when she gets tired and flops down nearby!

So the question - and I know this is a hot topic in the rabbit community (kind of like, "which kind of motor oil is best?" is in the motorcycle community), but at the risk of asking a question that has probably been asked and answered many, many different times even on this site, I ask - should we seriously consider getting Kimchi a companion?

The only real mitigating factors would be:

a) we would need to definitively sex her (we think she's a she but she wouldn't sit still for the vet, and really still won't be still for us to try to check) - we're going to spay/neuter regardless

b) we don't want her to be less happy, if she had to share her pen,

c) we would feel horrible if despite best efforts at bonding, they didn't get along and we were faced with trying to place the other one with someone else, or trying to keep them separated (then, do you get another companion for each, for a total of 4? etc.)

d) she seems happy and we think she pretty much eats and naps while we're out.

e) this will sound dumb - two rabbits will be (slightly?) more costly than one (vet bills and food mainly), and perhaps we'd have to "double down" on the amount of time we spend with them, in order to love 'em both enough. :)

I thank you all for reading and for your replies.

a) I tend to be a proponent of bonding two together when possible. However, not only will you have to sex her definitively, but you will have to spay her before bonding, or even considering bonding. So do that ASAP and then consider a neutered male (if you can get one from a shelter already neutered, that's a great way to go.

b) If they do bond, she would be happier sharing her pen (think about how much happier most people are to live with a significant other than alone, even though space is shared).

c) My two don't get along so we now have two unbonded bunnies in our lives and we just keep ours separated. It's NOT ideal, but it's something we can manage.

d) Most rabbits are crepuscular and so they nap in the middle of the day and in the middle of the night- but are awake mornings and evenings, so this is probably true. But she might be happier with a snuggle buddy.

e) Two rabbits are definitely more costly, but they shouldn't require more time/ attention, since they will be getting attention from one another as well. They generally need less attention (but not none, of course! :) ) when bonded.

How old is Kimchi again? Bonding is best done after they are adults (6 months ish) since their personalities may change and so might their opinions of another bunny. Does that answer everything? :)

I see the "to bond or not to bond" question more as a case by case basis.

I have had single rabbits and bonded pairs. One that became single (death of bondmate) ended up being quite destructive. She was one of those rabbits that needed a companion. Ironically, she was most difficult to bond. (more on that later)

My current male became single just over a year ago. Due to much going on in our lives (graduations, weddings, etc) we didn't get around to finding him a bondmate. But now we are glad we did not, and have realized how much he has come out of his shell over this time period. He is much more interactive and seems quite content with us.

So all this to say that I would go with your gut on how you feel your rabbit's quality of life is. Then use your judgement to decide whether or not to look for a bondmate.

If you do decide on a bondmate, Ravenous has good suggestions. Wait until after spaying and then let your current rabbit choose from among other fixed rabbits. If you do this process through a rabbit rescue, then they will work with you to ensure you wind up with a compatible mate.

I had to do this with that stubborn female I had. We brought home a potential male to bond with her (from a rescue) and they just wouldn't get along (ha! read "she" wouldn't get along). We ended up having to exchange two males before she finally accepted the third.

As far as your bunny goes, she (he?) sounds to me like a happy bunny that will be well loved whatever your decision.

Thanks for the replies you guys. Yes we think she is about 5 months now based on what we were told from our friend who gave her to us and the age that the vet estimated during her first visit. And yes we'll love him or her whatever the case may be.

Ours is friendly and interacts with us a lot especially while she's on the run (out of her pen).

She hates being picked up and is getting worse in that regard. Once we have her picked up, it is very difficult to put her down because she panics and gets crazy. It's truly her only unpleasant character trait. I am not sure what to do except of course get her as close to the ground as we can before she squirms loose. Anyway ...

We think she is pretty happy overall and we need to get her spayed (or him neutered if she's actually a he) regardless. We're probably going to continue to wait a bit on the decision since she seems good, and especially if she's too young still.

Most rabbits despise being picked up. Very young babies may not resist, but once they get closer to adulthood (6 months of age) then it is very usual for them to resist being picked up. So I'm not surprised that she is "getting worse in that regard."

She also may show other (unpleasant) behavioral changes as those hormones activate.

I just don't (didn't) pick up most of my rabbits. I would just pet them while on the floor or if they hopped on the couch.

so her down time is when you aren't home, and her up time is when you are home. Sounds like a win for the bunny. Seriously...during the day most buns just chill out. They are most active during the morning and evening hours which...is when you tend to be home.

I'd be more inclined to say NO to a companion, and just continue to love up on her as you've been doing. :) No health risks, no bonding risks, no increased vet bills or feed bills, and a rabbit who is content to be well spoiled.

Thanks Blue Eyes, ladysown and Ravenous Dragon for the replies!

We've recently figured out how to let her in and out of the pen, without having to pick her up. We now unsnap the little things that hold two of the panels together, and the whole thing swings open like a huge gate. What a relief for all of us ... I'm sure for her especially! It's awesome, she will now start one of her "hot laps" (motorcycle racing term) from inside the pen, then race around the living room. It's pretty hilarious!

We've noted that she has begun the circling of the legs behavior as of late. It's kind of adorable. :) She loves attention and being petted - she'll come by and "bump" us if we're ignoring her too much while she is out and on the run.

We kind of just adore everything she does! She is super cute.

EDIT: And thank you very much for your insight, ladysown! Much appreciated!

Latest posts

Back