IPE Wood Anyone know if it is safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyVegan

Mom of many animals ;-)
Reaction score
IPE pronounced EE-PAY is wood that is commonly used to build piers. This stuff is so hard you cannot put a nail in it. Seriously!

Since I am in South Florida it is common. I want to build a large play hut and want to be sure it would be okay. Only one of my buns likes to chew wood. I am even wondering if she could bite into it. Due to its hardness.

To give you an idea of how hard this stuff is. Wood is ranked on a Janka scale from soft to hard. Eastern White Pine ranks 380 on the Janka scale, White Oak 1360 and IPE 3684.

Thank you for any information.

Ipe is hard stuff. Many use it for decks around here. I would still wrap it in wire. Rabbits teeth are tough too.

Thank you for the response. When you say to wrap it in wire, can you give me more information on that? What would I use? If you have a photo of something like what you are referring to that would be fantastic.
This one bun is a chewer. I have never seen anything like it. I think she has some beaver in her! :pullhair:

So I want her to have a nice big place to run around in all the time. Not just when I let her out in her playpen.

Thank you!

Go to a hardware store or go online look for 1/4 inch hardware cloth. 1/2 inch will work too. Put it over all wood on the inside of the cage. Use fence staples to attach. With IPE you will have to pre-drill all the holes..Because that stuff is as hard as it gets to drive a nail. Hope this helps. I just used treated wood for all my out side hutches. But i put all the hardware cloth on the inside so the rabbits could not chew any of it.

Latest posts

Back