Cage Set Up!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueMoonBunnies

Reaction score
So my new bunny arrives on Saturday and I'm thrilled! I got her cage today and after a few modifications (added chicken wire because the holes were to large!) it's set up and ready! All I'm missing is some more toys and a hiding house! :) the floor is also temporary I ordered nice foam mats! Once she settles I'll be ordering another pen to attach and make this one twice as large! :)

IMG_7929.jpg

IMG_7930.jpg

Looks cute.

Can't tell from photo but are those clipped zip ties used to hold on the chicken wire? If so, be sure the cut edge of the zip tie is turned back so bunny can't get scratched on them. (Bunnies have such thin, delicate skin.) Also, I know how chicken wire can be on the cut edge - double check that no wire points are sticking out anywhere.

What is in the litter box?

That looks nice - enjoy it while it's all nice and clean, it won't last when the bunny is there! ^^ I honestly wouldn't trust a young bunny with foam mats, I advise you to put something cheap on top (like an old blanket) in case she bites / scratches it (she will, they always do - one afternoon Aki dug a freaking burrow in her pillow, she looked dead proud of it too... so now it's wrapped in a pillow case and a blanket).

Thanks and the litter is temporarily shavings! Just until I can get to a proper pet store to get paper litter! And yes it's zip ties! I turned all the edges so they hide away from the inside of the cage same with the sharp chicken wire edges and once I go to town I'm grabbing something to cover the edges all together! Also I'm hoping she is better behaved she's 18 months old already litter trained and they told me she's got no bad habits :) but if she chews the blankets I'll hold off on the mats!

If th foam mats don't work out, Home Depot Rona and lowes have those garage floor mats which are heavier duty. That's what I use. Always need something easy to clean, I find. What's closest to you, Grand Prairie?

Thanks and the litter is temporarily shavings! Just until I can get to a proper pet store to get paper litter! And yes it's zip ties! I turned all the edges so they hide away from the inside of the cage same with the sharp chicken wire edges and once I go to town I'm grabbing something to cover the edges all together! Also I'm hoping she is better behaved she's 18 months old already litter trained and they told me she's got no bad habits :) but if she chews the blankets I'll hold off on the mats!

If it's aspen shavings it would be fine, but if it's cedar shavings then that can be harmful for your bunny, because of the fumes, it can cause internal damage to you bunny, even if it's just "temporarily"
you also don't have to get the pet store litters made for rabbits. You can get cat litter (just as long as there's no clay in it) or wood stove pellets (what i use for my rabbit, Andy) wood stove pellets are great because there cheap and they work just as well as any pet litter. Plus the usual pet store litter like carfresh is extremely expensive! around here carfresh can range between $13-$17! whereas the wood stove pellets are around $6!

Love the cage setup though, but i do agree with blue eyes, be careful of the chicken wire! ;)

Once you get your rabbit you should probably not pick your bunny up (unless you have too) or play with it. Just give it some time to get used to its surroundings :)
the house rabbit society is a great website for rabbit care
http://rabbit.org/

Have fun with your new bunny! They are an amazing pet to have :D

Thanks guys Im pretty sure its not cedar shavings, my pet store (Tack store) owner has 10 rabbits and she uses this and sad theyve never had an issue regarding their bunnies health, she recommended it so thats the only reason I bought it ! But i plan to use pellet litter of some kind. :) Thansk guys I am so excited to bring her home.

Yayy looks great! Now I'm tempted to get a pen off eBay lol.

Latest posts

Back