Peeing EVERYWHERE... Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country-Girl

Reaction score
Benelli has started a new thing where she wants to pee everywhere... She'll leave small pee spots on the carpet and on the bathroom mats she'll pee a lot?? When I clean out her cage I'll see she peed on her relaxing mat or that her hair is felted from peeing? She's started this habit about 2 weeks ago

Could it be a UTI? Or the fact that I need to get her fixed.. My bf doesn't want to get her fixed if it's not going to solve the problem of her peeing spree

How old is she? If she is somewhere between 4 and 8 months, she's probably going through puberty and fixing her will stop the peeing. If she is older, it might want to take her to the vet.

If it is due to puberty then it is best to have her spayed as soon as possible, otherwise it could become a bad habit. This could be hard to break.

Buns do like to pee on soft items so if she is not on a wire bottom cage then you may want to remove her resting matt for the time being.

Have you been cleaning everything with a mix of water/vinegar? This helps to completely remove the urine odor.

Has her urine amount changed at all? Has the color changed? Is she showing any signs of an illness or pain, such as grinding her teeth, sitting hunched up, lethargy, change in appetite?

Health wise everything is good she's as happy as can be. And I did remove the relaxing mat (memory foam bathtub mat) and she was cranky. She sat hunched up in her litter box. When I put it back 6 hours later she laid on it on her side. She is exactly 5 months old. Okay. Looks like spaying is a MUST. Thank you guys!

I usually clean stuff with that simple green all purpose spray since it's I guess organic and chemical free for the animals and smells nice. I always throw everything in the washer when it's peed on though. Fabric wise.

I agree, at that age, if you've ruled out a urinary tract infection and similar things, that it's likely to be hormonal. Keep in mind, that unpsayed female rabbits have a very high risk of cancer. So I definitely recommend getting her fixed. Should definitely help with the peeing too.

That cancer risk is actually debatable, but you should spay her. If you don't, she will be an annoying rabbit.

I hope that everything works out! Good luck convincing your bf to spay!

That cancer risk is actually debatable, but you should spay her. If you don't, she will be an annoying rabbit.

I hope that everything works out! Good luck convincing your bf to spay!

In my opinion that's simply because breeders and pet owners see different rates of it. It's much higher in rabbits that aren't bred, than rabbits that are. Still, fix some hormonal problems and avoid a type of cancer, or deal with hormonal problems and risk a life-threatening cancer? Your choice :p Obviously if you're a breeder you don't do it, but for a pet, I see no reason not to.

Well her appointment is set! 6/18 she'll be getting spayed!

Best of luck! I'm sure it will be smooth sailing :)

Back