Someone help me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kassidylangiano

Reaction score
I had my bunny fixed just over a week ago, and i don't know why but his behaviour has gotten worse. He is more stroppy than ever before.

He got out of the rattling his cage bars for attention. Now he is doing it from 3am till I leave for work. I refuse to let him out when he's doing it because I don't want to reward him for it.

He is also 'nipping' at us more often than before. They don't hurt but I don't want it to lead to a full on bite.

I don't know what to do, I read somewhere about a water squirter for when he's bad.... But I don't want to break the trust he has with me...

I cover his cage at night with a towel, it used to work at stopping him rattling the bars but even that's not stopping him now... He always has hay and water, but I fed him early this morning just to shut him up for ten minutes, I

I don't know what to do about this but if I don't fix it my stepdad has told me he has to go.... Please help me

Get some garden mesh at a DIY store and stick or zip tie it to the inside of his cage so he can't rattle the bars. Hormones do not fully disappear until around 6 weeks after fixing, so he is still hormonal, and hormones + the discomfort of surgery might be why he's acting out so badly. Have you checked his surgery site for any signs of infection that may be irritating him?

A water squirter isn't a bad idea. When he's being bad and nipping you can say "NO" loudly right before you squirt him, so he associates the squirt with a sound that happens when he bites, not with you.

I have tried to check him but if I get close he acts out and tries to bite me, I called the vets and they said as long as he's not licking at the area a lot it should be fine, so I don't know what to do about it.

I will try the mesh! And water bottle! Thank you so much! I didn't know they stay hormonal for six weeks after surgery! That's really helpful!

Put some gloves and a sweater on and flip him over as firmly as possible. Get a second person to help you if need be. It's important that he's not allowed to kick out, struggle and tear his stitches open, but it's also important that you check the wound site every now and then to ensure everything's healing well. If it gets infected an abscess might develop, and that's just a pain in the butt to treat!

It's especially important to keep your eye on his wound if you aren't able to keep his cage very very clean for the next couple weeks, if he tends to spend a lot of time sitting in his litterbox, or if his area is set up such that he steps/sits on pokey bits of hay a lot.

My bunnies have hay in their litterbox all the time, and it was fortunate I flipped them over every day for two weeks after their neuter surgery - on the ninth day I spotted a drop of blood on one's stitches (probably poked by a bit of hay) and was able to clean him up and get some neosporin on it before anything worse happened.

Good luck! His hormones will gradually dissipate and he will calm down eventually. Be patient with him :) Some bunnies are perfectly settled 4 weeks after surgery, but mine took almost 8!

I just checked his surgery area and it looks fine! Not red or anything :) so he's just being a little buggar!

Thank you for your advice, I'll have to try the squirt bottle trick if I can find one somewhere 😄

Latest posts

Back