Temporarily feed oxbow young adult?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've just got a quick question. I'm having trouble currently sourcing oxbow adult rabbit pellets, have them ordered but they haven't arrived when expected so Bandit's been three days without pellets now (I've been giving him the oxbow hay cubes instead). The vet I buy them from told me they would get some from another store, these turned out to be the young adult ones, which I initially agreed to pick up but now realise they're not going to be similarbecause they're going to be alfalfa based.

So basically, I'm just wondering whether it's better to just wait and deal without pellets for a few more days, rather than buying the young ones which might upset his tummy. I figure we're better off just waiting but I wanted to double check. Thanks :)

If he's had alfalfa before when he was young, reintroducing small amounts of alfalfa should not upset his stomach. My buns have been fed alfalfa pellets in a pinch when we couldn't get a hold of oxbow adult, and I surmise their guts handled it well because they were on alfalfa oxbow growing up.

It's safest to wait for sure, but if you feel like he's just not getting enough energy from hay alone, I'd give him a teaspoon or so of alfalfa pellets and observe his pee to see if he can handle it.

Some buns will do fine with alfalfa being suddenly introduced into the diet, some won't. I always prefer to gradually introduce all new foods as I really dislike dealing with digestive issues, especially if it can be avoided.

If it were me, I'd wait and just feed hay. But we all know what our buns are like when they don't get their pellets :) So you could always just give him a small pinch of the young rabbit ones until the other ones come in. Or just make up for no pellets with other veggies and treats.

Thanks guys, I thought the same with the pellets, that I may just have to give him a tiny bit, but then I realised what's the point in getting them if he's only going to be getting a tiny amount. And I really don't want to risk GI stasis, so we're just going to wait it out (chances are I might get ripped to shreds in the meantime, he already bit my hand this morning :p). Will try to pacify the beast with timothy hay cubes and fresh herbs.

Latest posts

Back