Diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houghj3

Reaction score
I have hay available all day and water, I am not sure about the rest, every time I put vegetables or pellets in her bowl it gets gobbled up. I put a variety of items in her food bowl normally once maybe twice a day. My bunny gets lots of exercise as I don't cage her.

Any suggestions, specifically on how to tell if your bunny is hungry?

If your rabbit is hungry and there are no pellets it should eat its hay. Most of us on here limmit the amount of pellets that our rabbits get each day. The normal recomendation is 1/4-1/2 cup per 6lb of rabbit. I have 2 rabbits that each weigh 3-4lbs and they each get 1/4cup of pellets each day. Some say that you should give 2cups of veggies each day per rabbit, but that I think is way too much. My rabbits normally get 1-2 pieces of collards or turnip greens or mustard greens or romain and 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro a day. The important thing is that your rabbit always have hay and water available.

Just a question. How old is your rabbit? Rabbits 6months and younger should have unlimited pellets in addition to hay and water.

The amount of pellets & greens depends on how active your rabbit is, but I'd limit both a bit unless your rabbit starts to get underweight. Hay is mostly fiber, so won't add many calories.

I have hay available all day and water, I am not sure about the rest, every time I put vegetables or pellets in her bowl it gets gobbled up. I put a variety of items in her food bowl normally once maybe twice a day. My bunny gets lots of exercise as I don't cage her.

Any suggestions, specifically on how to tell if your bunny is hungry?
---70%-grasses-ie.timothy/orchard,,some quality pellets,and water,,chew toys--no cedar or pine,--and some tasty vegy/fruits as treats http://www.medirabbit.com here is a link to your salvation---rrr,,rr--sincerely james waller-:balloons::duck::love:

Yeah, what Idoerr said. If you still have a bunny under 6 mo. then the unlimited pellets too, as long as it doesn't give your rabbit soft poops.

If your rabbit is hungry and there are no pellets it should eat its hay. Most of us on here limmit the amount of pellets that our rabbits get each day. The normal recomendation is 1/4-1/2 cup per 6lb of rabbit. I have 2 rabbits that each weigh 3-4lbs and they each get 1/4cup of pellets each day. Some say that you should give 2cups of veggies each day per rabbit, but that I think is way too much. My rabbits normally get 1-2 pieces of collards or turnip greens or mustard greens or romain and 1/4 of a bunch of cilantro a day. The important thing is that your rabbit always have hay and water available.

Just a question. How old is your rabbit? Rabbits 6months and younger should have unlimited pellets in addition to hay and water.
Its 2 cups of leafy greens per 6 lbs of rabbit. That is what HRS suggests. They suggest 2 tsp of fruit per 6 lbs of rabbit.
My rabbit eats between 4 and 6 cups of leafy greens a day, on top of 2 small litter boxes filled with hay a day.

Depending on your size of rabbit and your age of rabbit, its usually like 1/4-1/2 cup of food per day. If it makes you feel better, you could split it up between 2 feedings. But as long as there is hay after the pellets are gone, then your bun will be fine! Bun's tend to eat the good stuff first and scarf it down! :)

Limiting the pellets and veg is the right thing to do as it encourages them to eat lots of hay, which should be their main food source. If your rabbit is fit, active and a healthy weight then what you are doing is working well.

Hi,

Thanks for all the answers. My bunny is over 1 year old. I will continue to give her a variety of vegetables,limited pellets and lots of hay.

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back