Stinky booty....help?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bri12351

Reaction score
Hi guys... Its bri. Anyways I have had my bun for about 2-3 weeks now and she has been pretty fine until a couple of days ago. I noticed she had a little diahrea and I took care of her and nursed her back to health. However, Now she has a stinky butt (and private) with dry poop on her fur. I tried using a wet paper towel to clean her up but it really isnt working. She seems okay and fine but I know she would rather have a clean body. Also, her fur around her private is gone.. Please help me clean my bun up!:bigtears:

It's possible she still has some wet poops etc which is why they are getting stuck. The missing fur is due to scalding from the poop and urine on her fur. One good thing to do is to look at her diet, perhaps it's a particular vegetable or herb that she's getting that is causing it, try to eliminate things to fix the problem. Once her poop is no longer wet, it won't stick to her bottom :)

trim all the hair away, and that gets rid of the poop stuck in the fur. the rest is just time. :)

Feed her oats. Not the quick minuet oats, whole oats that take 5 minuets to cook. Take away all pellets. Only feed her a little at a time (like a 1/4 cup) until she eats them. If she eats the whole 1/4 cup, give her the same amount of oats that you give her pellets. Only if she is still having diarrhea.

I hope this helps!

How old is your rabbit? Is the poop just mushy or is it watery diarrhea? Is there also any normal poop or is it all mushy? What type and amount of pellets, hay, veggies, and treats do you feed your rabbit each day? Did you change your rabbit to a new pellet when you first got her? Have you given her any new foods recently or made any food changes? Has there been anything in her environment that could be stressing her?

I have to disagree with feeding oats. The mushy poop is caused by an overgrowth of harmful bacteria(and maybe parasites) that can be made worse from feeding your rabbit foods high in sugars and carbohydrates.

My girl had that problem. I finally noticed that it was the pellets I mistakenly bought that were alfalfa base. So I took some clippers and trimmed the area clean her up with some unscented baby wipes. Changed food to an all Timothy base feed and cut her food down to 1/4 cup a day. And made sure there was a TON of hay to help keep her belly full. It all cleared up with in a week and I've yet to have any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

You can try just dunking her butt in some water too. I just did that with one of my bunnies that is having trouble keeping himself urine-free down there. I just filled up my bathroom sink a little bit, held him firmly but gently, and then stuck his butt in water. It helped clear away some of the waste buildup and could help your bunny too. The only thing to watch out for is that you don't let her get cold afterwards. You can use a hair dryer to dry her area (although the noise will scare her) or you can just wrap her in a few towels. I went the towel route.

Latest posts

Back