A Water Bottle?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dajeti2

Reaction score
I need help with Apollo. He drinks from awater bowl. It's all he had when he was with the breeder and it's allhe's had since. He is very enthusiastic when he's drinking lol. Abouttwo weeks ago I noticed a little yellow stain on his neck. Now thathe'sa little bigger he puts more of his face in the bowl andthat's how he's getting himself wet. I am constantly running after himwiping him dry. Thankfully he thinks it's cool cuz he gets even moreattention from mom.I want to avoid any problems due to hischin and throat wet.

I want to switch him to a water bottle. I've tried before but he washaving none of it. So how can I switch him? It's not a matter of savingcage space. I have to do it and he don't want it.

I know you will all have some really good suggestions.

Tina

You can put it on his cage, and rub the juicefrom a fruit he likes on the end of it where the ball bearing is. Hewill instinctively lick it and will learn to use it.

This is off the subject of bunnies. I put my dogin a kennel indoors when we are away. I put a bowl of water. anyoneknow of dogs using a watter bottle.

Cristy

My bunnies were pretty picky with their waterbottles. I had a really small one that I got when they were tiny andjust bought a bigger one because I have to fill the small one about 3times a day since they have grown. They would have nothing to do withthe bigger one. So, three (different) water bottles later I finallyjust got another small one because it is the only kind they will drinkfrom. So maybe you could try a couple of different brands till you findone he likes.

I have also seen really big water bottles at petsmart that weremarketed for dogs. So I guess they would probably use one...Maybe.

wow-thats a really good idea laura! :)

ive seen dogs use them-when they had to. you mighthave to squirt him with it so he realizes its there, but im sure hedget the hang of it.

You should get a water bottle. When I got Trixie her nose was very wet from the bowl.

He wasn't drinking because he didn't know how to use it. Trixie had thesame problem as she too was used to drinking from a bowl. Make watercome out of the bottle by putting your finger up the part where watercomes out. Do this a few times until he knows what to do. This workedfor Trixie :);).

Good luck! ;)

my vet told me to add juice inside e water tohide e taste of medicine when she wos ill. ..so i did and bitbit drankbout twice her usual amt! i used pineapple juice..freshly extracted frme fruit.

OK, it's been almost 7 hours and he won'tdrink from it. I just put his bowl back. I don't want him gettingdehydrated. I tried vanilla but even then no luck and he loves vanillawater. So them I tried the juice still no luck. I don't know what elseto do.

Any more ideas? I'm at a loss.

Tina

Hey, Tina! I don't have anydirect experience in this area because fortunately Sherman was trainedon the water bottle when I got him, but I'm wondering if thissuggestion would work ... Have you tried holding it before him,sticking it in his mouth, and lightly squeezing the bottle so that itwill come out? He may need to be taught to use the bottle,and this is the only way that I can think of to do it.

Hope this helps! :)

P.S. I just saw that others made similar suggestions.

Yes, I'm thinking that you're going to have to teach him to doit, sort of holding it for him like a baby.

Hello Tina,

maybe this will solve your problem. It's an old Breeders trick:

Take a match stick [Or whatever you have handy] Wedge it into theWater-bottle nozzle so it creates a slight drip. This will attract yourrabbit, [Their a curious lot you know.] He will get the idea within ashort time. If you need a larger bottle, you can use the nozzle and capon a two-liter soda bottle. This is what I use for my Does withlitters. [Sometimes Two bottles.] I hope this helps. A water bottle isso much healthier than a Bowl.;)

Dennis,C.V.R.:p

Thank you BunnyMommy & HankHanky. I amgoing to go to the store today and buy a bigger water bottle. I amgoing to definitely try the match stick trick. I'll let ya'll know howit goes. Again thanks!

Tina

Iwent to the store today and bought a bigger waterbottle. I helped him use it the first time. He's using it by himselfnow. I guess when it comes to Apollo bigger is better LOL.

Thank you everyone.

Tina

Latest posts

Back