can she hold on?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynzilouwho

Reaction score
i only have one cage right now is it ok that i keep him and her together until friday?

please let me know what you think or should i get on asap?

i also have a nother question how do i know what kind of rabbits i havethe pic i have is to big to put on here if you know rabbits well let meknow and i will email their pics

Please don't attempt to put two rabbits in acage together when they are not bonded. It will only result infighting, and serious injuries. I dont know the whole stroy, so pleaesinclude more info so I can get you a detailed answer....if you needsomewhere for the bun to live set up a dog cage on a door and have therabbit free roam in a room for a couple of days...

You can e-mail me the pics if you want to know breeds...I can help :D

my e-mail is: [email protected]

(in the e-mail can you please include info about your buns?? did you just get them??)

lynzilouwho wrote:
i only have one cage right now is it ok that i keep him andher together until friday?

If under 12 wks, yes, if not--risky. Try two laundry baskets tied together if you're really desperate.:D

Rose

I wouldn't trust it unless you can be watchingthem at all times. Do you know how old they are...and have the been toa vet yet? I'm off to check my e-mail :D:D

lynzilouwho wrote:
rose even if they are mounting is it still ok

Risky. If they are younger than 12 wks., it could lead to squabbles....if older, pregnancy is almost inevitable.

I would separate if I were you.

Rose

This gray and white one looks like a dutch or dutch cross....hmmmmmmm...

rabbits003.jpg

And this little brown one looks like a little nethy..do you guys think I'm right?

rabbits002.jpg

how much food should i feed them a day. i am having to change their tray every day is that normal?

DONT PUT THEM IN THE SAME CAGE. Keep themseperate, even if it means keeping one of them in a large box for onenight. You can usually find free cages in your local paper, or you canfind one at your local recycle center.

I love harlequin dutches! And Nethiestoo- I have one.:D Do you have a carrier from when youbrought them home? You keep one in it until you get thesecond cage.

naturestee wrote:
I love harlequin dutches! And Nethies too- I have one.:D Do youhave a carrier from when you brought them home? You keep one in ituntil you get the second cage.

I love harlequin dutches too ! I have one. Such a good breed. Easy to handle.

Please try to keep them apart. You don't want to risk the possibility of your female getting pregnant.

I agree that the top one appears to be a harliDutch and the bottom one looks like a Polish (but certainly could beNetherland). However, they are from the pet store, so it'seven possible that the pair are from the same litter.

It's helpful to know age, weight and country of origin.

Pam

wonderfull 1 Dutch one dwarf, both about breeding age , Dutch comein early for breeding anddwarfs are not too far behind them , getthem seperated especially if one isa male and another a female .Iwish Petstores would tell people aboutmale and females not living together ,and or be atleast a little bitmore knowlegable . Sexing them would bea great start . then seperate themBy Friday you couldvery well have one of two things happen ,a terrible fight resulting in losing oneor both, or eqtremely high Vetbills 2 a verypregnant female , and if you come backwith oh babies are so cool andI want babies I am going tolitterally SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Petsores dont tell you to not keep two rabbitstogether because they sell more rabbits.i occaisonally lose a salebecause i tell people two rabbits two cages.bluebird

they pet store didnt even tell me that they werenot the same bread and if you arent experienced with rabbits youwouldnt know. i did want them to breed but not now and notthis soon. are the babies going to be funky if they aredifferent breeds??? please help me i know nothing on bunnies

they pet store didnt even tell me that they werenot the same bread and if you arent experienced with rabbits youwouldnt know. i did want them to breed but not now and notthis soon. are the babies going to be funky if they aredifferent breeds??? please help me i know nothing on bunnies

Why do you want to breed them? Theyare pet store rabbits, no? They're not even the samebreed. Breeding mixed breed rabbits from a pet store is NOT agood idea. You have no idea what they carry in theirgenetics, which could include potentially lethal defects. Youdon't know their background, their histories, anything about them - youcould end up with serious complications with the mother and offspring.

Also, what do you plan on doing with the babies, if they are bornhealthy? There isn't much demand for mixed breed rabbits, andthere are already tons out there needing homes. Many are ondeath row in shelters. Why create more?

If you are serious about breeding rabbits, it's best to learn about theanimal you have as a pet first, then find a mentor to teach you andeducate yourself all you can on the subject.

I already wrote this up for another post, so I'm going to copy-paste:

Hundreds of rabbits and small animals - baby, young, old, mixedbreed, purebred, of all sizes and ages - are euthanized in animalshelters all across the country every day because of situations likethis.

Responsible rabbit breeders (of which there are few and farbetween, in my opinion) have taken a great deal of time to learn allthe facts behind breeding, as well as carefully choosing theirPUREBRED, genetically sound stock. They work to improve the rabbitbreed, not only in looks but in temperament and health. They don't justbreed for the fun of it. They recognize there is anoverpopulation problem, and that breeding more animals has a costbeyond that of money. They never sell to pet stores or to unscreenedhomes, or dump their "culls" in shelters or flea markets. They neverbreed rabbits with known health or temperament issues, nor breed mixedbreeds to sell to auction or pet stores to "supplement" their income.

Rabbit breeding is a complex, difficult field that requires not onlymonetary resources (do you even have money for a vet if something goeswrong with your doe or the babies?), but a great deal of knowledge ingenetics. Even if you think you can find homes for the babies, pleasedon't breed pet rabbits, particularly those of unknown history andmixed breed. Mixed breeds make just as wonderful pets, but there is noreason to add more animals to this world unless you work to improve abreed in all aspects. There are far too many animals out therealready that need homes, and way too many irresponsible and unethicalbreeders as well.

If you're going to breed, learn about it and DO IT RIGHT.

I would highly suggest you read the following links and take them toheart. Yes, the first three have to do with guinea pigs, butthe same applies to rabbits.

[url]http://www.cavyspirit.com/breeding.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.cavyspirit.com/dumps.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.cavyspirit.com/responsiblebreeder.htm[/url]

http://www.rabbit.org/adoption/hidden-cost-of-breeding.html

Get both of them spayed/neutered, learn what rabbits are like as pets,and THEN consider breeding one day (with pedigreed, purebred stock!)

Latest posts

Back