Rabbit shots?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlemisslacie

Reaction score
So I live in Ontario, Canada.. not sure if this makes a difference but I thought I would add it in.
We have two new rabbits 12 weeks and 8 weeks, and we were taking them to the same vet that we take our cat to. We got their exam done which involved everything everyones mentioned except shots.
When I asked if they get shots they replied with no.
So I was worried that our vet wasnt a good bunny vet, so I called THE bunny vet in town and she said no as well.
Should I keep looking, or for some reason do we just not give shots here? lol
Thanks!

-Lyss, Lacie & Reese.

hello! curious! here in sunny devon, england i have mine innoculated against myxi and vhd. it happens that this is done in october although i give the vet a call in the spring to see if the myxi needs boosting.:)

There are no routine vaccinations for rabbits in Canada. We do not have the diseases that The UK does.

At least it is one less thing you need to remember (and pay for) each visit. :)

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
There are no routine vaccinations for rabbits in Canada. We do not have the diseases that The UK does.

At least it is one less thing you need to remember (and pay for) each visit. :)

and not have to live with bad tempered bunnies when you get home from the vet......

I've heard of the vax mentioned above in other areas.. but in MA I've never had my bunnies vaccinated or heard of any routine vaccines that should be given to rabbits around here.
I thought that I read about one of the diseases being something that the wild rabbits were purposely exposed to in order to control their populations.. if that's the case, I don't think that happens here.. so maybe it's not a risk or as much of a risk.

I don't know about Canada but in the USA bunnies do not get shots. I know they DO get them in parts of Europe and Australia.

It was in 1950 that Myxi was released into the wild to reduce the rabbit population in Australia. Then soon after, VHD was then released. I think the two combined killed over 300 million in just 30 years or something.

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that only Australia, and most of Europe have this problem of myxi and VHD. I don't think it is much of a problem anywhere else.

In fact, I don't think there is a vaccine available in Australia, at least for myxi. They are too worried about a resistant strain emerging, so they don't allow the release of the vaccine.

In fact- I found this on the House Rabbit Society website:

Australia - RCD/RHD vaccine is legalised - No Myxomatosis vaccine allowed
USA -No RCD/RHD vaccine legalised -No Myxomatosis vaccine available
England -Yes RCD/RHD/VHD vaccine is available & legal - Yes Myxomatosis vaccine is available & legal
New Zealand - Yes RCD/RHD vaccine is available -No Myxomatosis vaccine is available

So I guess it would appear that there are neither vaccine available in the USA. The only country that has both legalised is England. I guess it's where it is most high.

Latest posts

Back