Rescued!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geturownmunkie

Reaction score
Ok, this morning I go in my backyard because I hear the neighbours's dogs barking at something. It turns out it's this tiny white and caramel bunny! The dogs wanted it. Well, I spent about 45 minutes sitting with it, talking to it, and feeding it plants that I know are safe. Suddenly, it hears a noise and runs off towards the dogs. It lets me pick it up, and I take it inside.

That was 4 hours ago.

I have had rabbits and rodents before, and know generally how to care for them.
I would just like some information on how to make sure it's healthy and happy.

(We called the other neighbours, and it turns out it belongs to them, but they would rather not have it, so we get to keep it.)

I have to take care of it myself, so shots and check-ups are coming but not in the immediate future.

Is there anything I NEED to do to keep it healthy?

Also, I need help with the gender. I have no idea how to check that.
And I don't want to do anything very stressful until it learns to love me (it does seem to have some strange bond with me already.)

Ok to sex it you need to flip it onto its back and put your middle and index finger where you think the private parts would be, softly pull down if you get a kinda triangle shape it is a girl if two testicles pop out it's a boy, best bet is just to get it neutered because if it is a girl it could get uterine cancer and if it's a male it could get testicular cancer.

paul2641 wrote:
Ok to sex it you need to flip it onto its back and put your middle and index finger where you think the private parts would be, softly pull down if you get a kinda triangle shape it is a girl if two testicles pop out it's a boy, best bet is just to get it neutered because if it is a girl it could get uterine cancer and if it's a male it could get testicular cancer.

I think I will sex it, but not for a while, not until it calms down and gets used to me and a new home.

Well, first off, welcome to RO and congrats on your new bunny friend! Rabbits here in the US don't need any shots.A checkup would be a good idea just to make sure everything is ok with this bunny, since your neighbors were obviously not caring for it properly. A vet will also be able to help you figure out if you have a buck or a doe as well. Have you ever had a rabbit before, do you know the basics of feeding and the like?

Hi! Welcome to RO! I'm so glad you were able to rescue the little guy...or gal. ;)Do post pics when you can. Just curious, where in Texas are you?

gentle giants wrote:
Well, first off, welcome to RO and congrats on your new bunny friend! Rabbits here in the US don't need any shots.A checkup would be a good idea just to make sure everything is ok with this bunny, since your neighbors were obviously not caring for it properly. A vet will also be able to help you figure out if you have a buck or a doe as well. Have you ever had a rabbit before, do you know the basics of feeding and the like?
Both my father and brother have owned rabbits.
My father got a rabbit (George), but he allowed me to take care of it.
So as I said, I know the basics, but if I need anything, my father could help.

I plan on taking him to the vet soon.

I just can't tell if he's happy.
He's had a rough day and all, but he hasn't drunk much water, but has eaten a lot of vegetables.

I would appreciate anything anyone would like to tell me.

And I'm trying to get some pics!

momof2buns wrote:
Hi! Welcome to RO! I'm so glad you were able to rescue the little guy...or gal. ;)Do post pics when you can. Just curious, where in Texas are you?
Thank you, and I live in central Texas, near Waco, Hewitt, and Woodway.

Welcome!
That is a great sign that he is eating! The vegetables would provide him with water too so that's why he probably hasn't drank much, once he is eating, pooping and peeing I wouldn't worry too much. Best bet would be just to leave him alone for the next 24 hours and let him chill out and calm down.

Aww...there's just nothing like rescuing a sweet bunny.

Welcome to RO!! :) Be sure to check out the Lagomorph Library ...there's lots of wonderful data there. Sounds like your new sweetheart is happy already, if he/she's eating! :)

You sound like you have a way with the bunnies! :)

How's the Bunny doing today?

Have you taken any pictures yet? I'd love to see him/her.

What are you housing the little guy/gal in?

Susan :)

We sexed her this morning.
YES, a little girl. I'm so happy.

Well, when I first brought her in the house, she stretched and did all of this little moves, so I named her Stretch.
(Funny thing is, my father says she's a dwarf, so she's about the size of a roll of toilet paper. We don't think she'll be getting much bigger.)

Pictures are on the way, as soon as the camera gets new batteries.

And she has already bonded with my mother's dogs.
They were taking a nap together just now, it was the cutest thing ever.

It is cute to see when they get along so well with dogs and cats, LOL. One thing to be aware of though, is that obviously dogs and rabbits have very different ways of playing, so keep an eye on them because the dogs might hurt her unintentionally when playing.

Aww...so happy to hear how great your new baby girl is doing! :D

I can't wait to see how beautiful she is! :)

And what a great name...Stretch. That's so cute!!

Latest posts

Back