Unexpected Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuttybuns22

Reaction score
Hi all

Sorry for long post but need some advice.

So I rehomed 2 rabbits over a month ago and was told the doe had been spayed and had been with the male 3 months. I later found out that the woman had actually rehomed Smudge (doe) 2 weeks previously in pets at home, but i trusted that they would have known if she was spayed. I should have known better because on Tuesday when I went to feed her she starts building a nest and about 2 hours later gives birth to 10 wriggly bunnies!! I honestly thought she was getting too fat. I have 8 rabbits (18 including the babies) but I do not breed rabbits so only know what I have read on google about looking after kits and a lot of it has very conflicting information.

Basically just wondered if anyone breeds or has experience with baby bunnies and can give me some tips. I made a nest box when she starting running around with hay in her mouth, which one website advised to change once every 3 to 4 days so it was changed yesterday. I have been checking them daily and they all seem wriggly and happy but some of them have what look like scars or burns, i am thinking one peed over the others or mummybun peed in the box? They were not like it the day before yesterday. Its not raw or anything it literally looks like what a scar from some burns on a human would look like but fully healed. I felt so bad but i checked them regularly and they were most certainly dry and warm every time as I was worried about them having a damp nest. Has anyone else seen this?

All tips welcome - weaning, what foods to give, when I can sex them and separate them etc. Mummybun is happy and seems to be doing really well, shes feeding them and is very affectionate.

Thanks in advance

Nutty

It sounds like your doe is taking care of them fine...as long as they're growing. We don't usually change the nest materials until a week or so after birth and then do try to keep some of the does hair to put back in the nestbox. The doe should have extra pellets while nursing and she'll probably drink more water. At 10-14 days they should open their eyes and will start wandering. Sexing can be difficult when their young. It's easier to tell when they're first born. Otherwise, when they're 4 -7 weeks.

Latest posts

Back