Looking for advice but still going to vet again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lincoln_bunny

Reaction score
This is a long story that I am going to try and make as short as possible.

I own 4 holland lops, but recently just lost one over the rainbow bridge from what we aren't exactly sure(my vet and I). Lincoln was about 5.5 years old and in perfect health. I noticed one day the left side of his face looked odd, best way to describe would be droopy? He slowly over a couple weeks started eating less and less, first he wouldn't eat his pellets anymore, then hard treats. I started giving him alfalfa just to make sure he was eating enough. Checked his ear, and mouth everything looks fine. On a Sunday night before bed I discovered his head was staring to tilt, and I freaked and immediately took him to emergency vet. He looked to be in perfect health, nothing in his ears, but his eye was doing the rhythmic flicking, something I never noticed. They put him on medication for inner ear infection and checked his back molars for any teeth issues by nothing. Next day, (Monday morning) it was hard for him to walk, like his balance was off and he kept falling over. So I took him to my vet and they also put him on deworming meds and pain meds. Tuesday things started to look good. He was running around, eating critical care on his own. Wednesday morning, not good again. He couldn't walk at all, spinning in circles(not round and round but over under). Has no balance at all, left eye weeping badly. After work I took him back in and the vet told me he has never seen anything like it. He must have had a stroke or it's something neurological. Basically there was no helping him and I was forced to end my babies life.

Now.... I thought for a while all my bunnies were dying because my poor little Lincolns fate had to be from something? If he had it, they all have it no?

Well now I'm pretty sure something is up with my Izzy, it's starting kind of the same. I haven't stocked her hay in a couple days(that's not like her) and she slowly started to stop eating her pellets. Iv been giving her alfalfa hay and she is eatin that. But I have also been syringe feeding her critical care. Nothing wrong with her ears, she has what looks like her eyes were weeping but its dried now so it's hard but has no color.

Izzy is about 3 years old and all my rabbits are in door.

I'd be worried about E. cuniculi- but that doesn't usually affect completely healthy rabbits (it can though). The eye flicking is due to ear issues (inner, neurologic- it doesn't really help determine a cause) but the weepy eye plus sudden onset of head tilt sounds similar to E. caniculi. I'm most concerned because Izzy is exhibiting the same behaviors.

If it were just one rabbit, it is possible that it was a brain tumor pressing on the vestibular and facial nerves (causing droopy face, twitchy eye, and head tilt), but I'd be sure to get Izzy in (like you said already). Please keep us updated on how everyone is doing!

Yeah, the first thing I thought about was e cuniculi too as it can give a plethora of symptoms, and a lot of neurological ones. It's really hard to have a diagnostic for that and it's generally treated with Panacur (which is quite cheap and well tolerated by rabbits but the treatment has to last for 28 days and it generally doesn't completely eliminate the thing, just keep it in check). It's a parasite which is generally transmitted by the mother to her babies or from rabbit to rabbit by spores (bleach is the only way to 'kill' them). It is said that most rabbits are asymptomatic carriers but that it only breaks out within some individuals for some reason, often because of a weakened state but genetic predisposition is also held responsible by some vets.

I would talk about it with your vet while investigating other possibilities. Doing a Panacur round for Izzy can't really hurt if there is a real doubt about it.

I'm really sorry this is happening to your rabbits. Rabbits are really a pain when it comes to sudden mystery illness. I just had a big scare myself - I have a 3 year old holland lop too and he was fine and eating and pooping yesterday but I found him looking like he was dying in his litter tray around 9 pm. I gave Metacam and water and it looked like it had no effect after 2 hours. I don't have any emergency vet where I live, so I went to bed around midnight kinda expecting him to find him dead or in a horrible condition this morning (I didn't sleep much - -'). But I just woke up and he looks better. I don't know what brought this episode at all and if it will reoccur or not, so it will probably be vet for me too. Sigh...

Latest posts

Back