What breed are they? Y

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
Hey I have 2 boy bunnies and I have a lot of helpful info about them and I hope with it someone can tell me the breed.

Spice:

Stands 7" tall at the highest part of his back, is 15" long. Weighs 2.875 kg (6.33829 lbs). Will be 1 year on May 6, 2004.

Mocha:

Stands 6.5" at the highest point on his back. Is 13" long. Weight slightly less then Spice, probably between 2.8 kg to 2.86 kg.

Your beautiful boys are mixed breeds.Mocha may have some Flemishin the background as he has heavybone and a very strong ear base. His backround probablyincludes a medium breed such as the Chinchilla.

Spice is harlequin marked, but doesn't have the commercial coat of apure bred Harli and like Mocha, may have Chinchilla in hisancestory.

I'm not familiar with which breeds would be more common inCanada,or what would most likely have been bred in.The three breeds of chinchillas were very popular years ago because ofthe fur trade, so many breeds can be traced back to them.

Pam

I love it when ya do that, Pam! May I bother you once again to ask youto take a look at the pictures of Missy, Jezebel, and Jade in 'RabbitPictures' and tell me what you think their breeds are? ThanksJudge...:dude:

You sure have two beautiful rabbits! Great job on the pictures.

-Carolyn

Well - I believe Buck has mentioned that Missy is aMini Lop and she certainly appears to be one : ) I think hercolor is Frosty (if that's just red-eye from the flash). Ifher eyes are actually red, then she's a pointed (but I don't thinkthat's the case).

My guesses on Jezebel and Jade would English Spot thrown in with somesmaller breeds. The English (if we wish to go farther back,is believed to have originated long ago from spottedFlemish). The fawn color is similar to the golden palomino,which was the product of a gentleman simply saving some pretty goldenrabbits destined for meat, so the exact origins of the Pal

Many of the small/med rabbits (5-6) also have Dutch in the background,as it is one of the oldest known breeds, it was often cross- bred toother breeds.

I can't go back to the photos without losing what I just typed, but Ibelieve the fur looked to have more of a flyback and was laying ratherclose to the body. It's the same type of fur the EnglishSpot, Dutchand Palomino would have.

Surprisingly, Angoras are in the backgrounds of many of our purebredrabbits today. For example the Lops, New Zealand,Beveren and other breedsoccasionally produce "fuzzy" wooledbabies even to this day. I know a breeder who introduced thebroken pattern to their Polish using Mini Rex. NetherlandDwarfs are often crossed with Dwarf Hotots and you'll find GiantChinchillas in the backgrounds of many mandolin typed breeds.For this reason, it can be rather hard to venture a guess at a rabbit'sancestry, so the best I can do is make some guesses. But,it's fun anyhow :)

Pam

Thanks so much for the help! I was just curious andnow I know, even if it's not totally accurate, lol. And I figured theywere mixed breed as the dad looked to be a different breeds from themoms.. just forgot to mention that lol.

Carolyn, that new photo you posted of Tucker issimply priceless : ) What a ham he is! He lookslike a movie star LOL

Pam

Mocha certainly has a presence doesn'the? I'm looking back at the photo and wouldn't be surprisedif he has some checkered in him. His face and ears remind meso much of my Checkered Giant. (The Checkereds are believedto have a Flemish background).

Pam

Welcome M&SMom,

Mocha really caught my eye too. He's such a Beastly Beauty. Spice justlooks like an Angel-Girl who would do nothing wrong. :D

Wow Pam,

Thanks so much for the education. I don't think Missy's eyes are red,but Buck'll tell us. I only wondered about Missy being a mixed becausethought mini-lops were more like dwarves. I was wrong. I do recall nowthat Buck saying they can get up to 6 lbs. Buck has a great way ofdescribing here color. We'll have to ask him about that as well.

Tucker's the kinda guy that sings in his head that song, "I outta be in pictures...I'm so wonderful to see..."
That's the picture I chose for his portrait.

I'm gonna go nibble on that chocolate bunny as soon as I sign off.

:)

-Carolyn

The name "mini" lop is misleading. TheHollands are actually the smallest "dwarf" lop averaging 3.08 poundswhere the "mini" can get up to 6 1/2 pounds.

The French is the heavy weight with a "minimim" senior weightof 10 1/2 - 11 pounds. The English average a littlesmaller, but have the 21+ inch ears!

To make matters more confusing -- the "miniature" lop is the equivalent to our Holland Lop in other countries.

Pam

Thank-you very much Pam indeed! Jade does have somevery interesting markings on her-and I was always wondering what shewas (or close to..) where as Jezebel's "honey" (OHHHHHH SO glad youcalled her that, she will be delirious, for she hates the wordbrown...) colour and large ears had me perplexed....

Cher

Tucker would much prefer "chocolate", as opposed to 'brown'. Silly, isn't it?! :cool:

Still absorbing what I had learned from PamNock about the differentbreeds. It would be so much easier if the whole world wasin-sync as to what we refer as our breeds.

-Carolyn

Apparently, no one likes to be referred to asplain-old-brown. The only rabbits (that I can think of now),actually called brown, were the "Brown Beveren" (Really a chocolateand unfortunately dropped from the standard years ago forlack of interest) and the "Brown-Gray" Dutch, now known as simply"Gray".

Pam

lol, thanks everyone, ya Mocha is quite thecharacter, I fell in love with him when he was a baby and he's my baby.He can be a brat but he's a sweet heart. And Spice is a devil indisguise, he started all the problems between my bunnies fighting andhaving to seperate them.

Now I'm looking to take Spice's full sister because my friend has togive her away. What do you think? Do you think it will be easy to bonda male and a female from the same litter again when they are only 11months old?

Oh God, M&SMom! That latest picture of Mocha is absolutely Adorable!! What a baby!! Kiss him a lot for me.

Following the proper steps it takes to bond bunnies, you've got a goodchance of them getting along being male/female. You'll have to seewhether they 'click' or not. Any chance at you introducing them in amutual place to see if they'd go after each other or just check outeach other before you commit to taking the sister?

Too funny, Pam, about the color brown. What is it with us? Brown's notan ugly color. Isn't it funny the quirks we have? I find it equallyentertaining that the description of brown has almost gone extinct.

-Carolyn

Carolyn, you would never want to see brown again ifyou had seen our house when we purchased it. EVERYTHING wasdark brown. Dark brown paneling on all the walls, dark browncarpet, brown curtains and even a dark brown toilet cover -- it wasawful. The place looked like a cave. I don't knowhow someone could live like that.

Pam

My dad has just finished making this great new cagefor me, it's 8 feet long, divided in half by wire because my boys fightbut are perfectly content to cuddle through the wire. I could move oneof the boys into my old single hutch and put the female in one half ofthe double one so they can get to know each other through the wire,then move them out into our rabbit run to get to know each otherwithout wire and where I have easy access to seperate any majorfighting. If they don't bond, I may have to give one away as they arenot pure breds, it's just easier, don't worry, I screen all possibletakers to ensure they are well taken care of! And no worries for moredomestic bunnies from me, my boys are fixed.

I was thinking Mocha would be best because he is less dominent and thefemale is quite dominent, what do you think? And I have bonded bunniesonce before successfully but should I expect fighting? And hair chunksbeing pulled?

One last old picture of my boys (taken last summer), and then I will besure to get some new Easter ones of them (and CC if I take her).

M&SMom,

It's hard to predict who will get along and who won't. SorryI can't be of more help to you. Some personalities minglewell, other's clash. No chance of you taking Mocha to wherethe sister is and seeing how they do? You wouldn't want toput Mocha in the female's cage; your best bet is to put them in a placelike a bathtub as people have recommended because there's no scent ofthe other rabbit and it's a good test to see how they'd do together.

Pam,

I moved into a house one time that where everything was BrightOrange. The bathroom, the kitchen, the bedroom.NASTY!! It was 'redecorated in thelate 60s, early70s. I can't imagine it was harder to cover than dark brownthough. What a nightmare!

-Carolyn

I agree with Carolyn on the issues ofbonding. An "Alpha" animal wouldbe very likely toattack or continually harass the subordinate. Two Alphaanimals will most likely severely injure each other.

It's hard to tell which animals will successfully bond and which of them won't.

Pam

Latest posts

Back