Wire cages

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mindy10

Reaction score
So Im trying to figure out what is the best cage for my new bunny. Im reading wire cages are bad for their feet. But if you get the solid bottom where does the urine and poop go? Just on the ground so the bunny can walk all through it? Then they say if you get a wire one put a rug over it. Again the bunny is just going to pee all over the rug. I am going to box train her but im sure the first few weeks of months she wont know what the box is and pee and poop in the cage. What do you use for a cage?

I use a wire/wooden hutch. I stick a piece of carpet in it on the wire as well. It is only that bad on their feet if they don't have any rest off of it and/or if they are a REALLY large breed, obese, or if they are like a Rex or mini rex. If they are sitting in their own stuff that can cause Sore hocks just as much. Wire cages as long as they aren't rusty or sagging wire, then they shouldn't be an issue. Bunnies generally pick a corner of the cage, and therefore mine never have had huge issue with peeing on the rug. You just watch for where they want as their 'corner' and don't stick the rug there. I think mostly wire cages are alot more saintary and easy to clean up.

For most bunnys, litter training is quick, they usually pick a corner pretty quickly and you go from there. Poops at that point are usually 50/50 and walking through them isnt as bad as you think, much better for them then walking on wire. Then you just ween them fully to the box from there.
IMO go for a normal cage or dog pen, or Nic cube.

Latest posts

Back