HelP me choose a hutch!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonesy

Reaction score
I need to buy charlie a big bunny cage I found two I like and I don't want to make an NIC cage because I can already sEe it being a disaster! Can you guys givE me some suggestions for a new hutch or these are two I like I don't want anything too big but he needs room to grow. Please help or show me something I haven't seen yet :)

http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/de...tch+with+Enclosure+37.75"+L+X+30.5"+W+X+47"+H

http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/de...ium+++Bunny+Cottage+30.5"+L+X+30.5"+W+X+50"+H

I've used hutches in the past and wasn't a fan, because even though they look cute, they're hard to clean thoroughly. The best setup for me was a dog pen, with vinal flooring to add better grip and protect my rented house's hard wood floors. I think it was about $75 brand new for the pen, and $50 or so for high-quality durable flooring. It gave lots of space for Gus to hop around, and fit a litterbox, dishes, hiding places, big hay box, a little carpet, and lots of toys.

And it was so easy to clean up, just a daily sweep if necessary, and a quick mop once in a while if needed.

Those look cute but the are quite small. How much of the time will her be spending in that.. that's a big factor in picking something suitable. If they are just a base they'll be fine but if it's a bigger portion of the day a pen would be better.

Thanks! Ya, I stole it from somewhere awhile ago, but I don't remember where. It's good if you have multiples or a giant breed, but now that Molly's passed away, there's no way Gus can get through all of that hay while it's fresh. So, I'm looking for more ideas!

The pen, or hay cube? Lol.

The pen is sold as 8 panels, each panel is 2 feet wide by 3 feet tall. It can be arranged in different configurations, and then braced creatively to stay that way (or else a very destructive bunny could move the pen around across the floor, lol). I have three pens, so I just used 10 panels to make a bigger enclosure. The floor panels were enough to brace it and hold it in place.

The hay cube is just 6 NIC panels made into a cube, with the lid left hinged on one side. It holds one bag of hay from the store perfectly.

The hay cube idea is awesome... Less mess! I'll have to get one of those dog pens. Hopefully my pet store sells them like that! :) thanks for the great idea!!

I use a pen, but for a cheaper less pretty option you can use pegboard from Home Depot (have them cut it into 2' x 2'8" section, you get 6 panels per $16 piece of board. Then you can ziptie them together.

Edit: My pen is made how I suggested. 8'x8' with painters plastic under carpeting.

Latest posts

Back