small bun big stink

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrittanyandFruFru

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have a two-year-old lop mix named Fru and he is a funny little guy with a huge personality. But as all of us bunny owners know his urine really stinks. I was told that after he was neutered his urine wouldn't smell as bad, but that hasn't really helped. The only way I can keep him from stinking up my house is to use carefresh and change the bedding even when it otherwise wouldn't need it because of the smell and at $8 a bag it is getting pretty costly.
I was just wondering what everyone else does to keep down the smell of urine in their home.

P.S. he is completely litter box trained.

-Brit

In my opinion and a lot of others will agree with me the carefresh actually adds to the stink. I think carefresh itself smells musty and the mix of musty+urine is awful. Try the woodstove pellets or a product called yeserdays news. Its a cat little made from recycled paper. Perfectly safe for bunnies. Clean the corners everyday and wash the little box with white vinegar plus hot soapy water weekly. Hope that helps.

Hi Brit

I have never had a problem with smelly urine. At one point i had 6 (of mine)+ 1 (the ex found waundering)bunnies in my house. Now I have 3 in the apartment. I use the wood stove pelets (very cheap) every morning I scoop out the soiled litter then add approximately 1 scoop into the litter pan. I also use the plastic screens on top of the litter so they poos are easy to discard which I do twice a day:litterhealthy:.

I ususlly change the litter boxes once a week as I have extra litter boxes. I soak then with vinegar for a bit, nice and clean.

Are you sure it's the litter box and not his scent glands? Thak canhave a nastyodor.

Susan:)

Switch to wood pellets as they are much better at controlling the smell. Plus they are WAY cheaper, I pay about 6$/40lbs bag. I keep my rabbit in my bedroom and I used to use carefresh & paper pellets but they didn't do much for the smell. Now with the wood pellets I don't smell anything.

Only thing with the wood pellets is that I find when I first open the bag they smell really strongly of sawdust and my rabbit doesn't really like that. So I open the bag and let them air out a bit before using.

I have 5 rabbits in the house and clean them every day....I currently use Yesterdays News Cat litter for some and also white pine bedding ( costs about $5.00 for a bale from Farm supply store) but I really want to try the wood stove pellets.... 40 pounds of wood stove pellets cost $3.97 at Home Depot, Yesterdays News is about $16.00; How absorbant are the Stove pellets?

I use wood pellets for litter. I have 5 rabbits and don't really notice smells. It is very absorbent, I don't know exactly how much but there is more of it at the end of the week than at a the start. It does break down when it gets wet and becomes saw dust. It does also dry out if given a chance, so can then absorb some more. I also only use enough to cover the bottom of the litter box and that lasts a week. A 40 pound bag costs about $6 and will last me about 2 months.

Wood pellets here too! Can't recommend them enough. I have heard that they are safe since the wood is kiln dried before being made into pellets so the oil normally bad for rabbits in pine chips is burnt off. I would also make sure to check if the the brand of pellets you plan on buying have any added chemicals. I have not personally run across any pellets which contain accelerants, but I have heard they exist and it is easy to check.

When you buy them as fuel for a stove they are CHEAP!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JS5EBI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back