How to teach a rabbit to use a water bottle.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
I don't think Furgie knows how to use her water bottle because when she gets out of her cage she goes straight to the dogs water fountain. How do I teach her to use the bottle?

I agree, bottle aren't easy to use for some rabbits and the position to drink from a bowl is a lot more natural (try to imagine yourself drinking from something which gives you only a drop at a time by twisting your neck upward and to the side and having to push a metal ball with your tongue ^^). Also, a lot of bottles tend to leak eventually and the metal part is hard to clean which means mold can grow there.
Like Blue eyes said, just chose a heavy bowl and put it in the corner of the cage, out of the way (I use a classic ceramic bowl and in 10 years, it has never been knocked over).

I grabbed a large ceramic bowl from a dollar store ! Its super heavy probably the size for a small dog and my bunny hasnt managed to knock it over yet! She uses a bottle but she very clearly prefers the bowl.

The woman I got her from said she used a bottle but I went ahead and got one of the bowls that attaches to the side.

Latest posts

Back