Swollen Genitals...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyPot

Reaction score
Charlie isn't neutered and is constanly trying to climb on anything that moves.

Last night I flipped him over to check his bum for worms (he is being treated forpinworms and they have been pretty bad in the last couple days) and I noticed that his penis area is swollen and puffy.

The skin shroud that the penis is in is puffed up. I think it's a bit painful because as soon as I touch it or blow on it, he jumps out of my hands.

Any ideas? Could it be chafing from all his mounting? I also saw a pinworm on his penis - could it cause the area to get infected?

PLease help - I will probably take him to the vet if the swelling doesn't go down by tomorrow.

Thanks

Nadia

Could be due to any number of things:

Inflammation from irritation (as you already mentioned), urine scald, urinary infection, as well as an indication of more serious conditions. I don't think the pinworms are the cause although it is possible that it might be a histamine reaction to the pinworms dying or tothe medication.

This is a good reminder to everyone that weekly through home exams are extremely important in order to catch problems like this early as Nadia did. Because Nadia caught the inflammation early, she can prevent this from turning into a far more serious infection.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Pam

Thanks Pam! Do you knw if I should put anything on it to make it feel better till hopefully it goes away... or I get him to the vet

Because we don't know the cause, I really don't want to recommend putting anything on it because the rabbit will lick it off. Until the vet examines it, we won't know if the cause appears to be external or internal.

Pam

Came home this evening, and the swelling is gone - it must have been related to chafing. I will be keeping my eye on him in case it returns. Thanks for the advice.

_______
Nadia

Latest posts

Back