What are Dutch supposed to look like?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
I know a little bit about the Dutch breed, like their weight is 3.5-5.5lbs. They come in an assortment of colors.
Ellie is mismarked, so I'm not asking about her colors or anything.
But what should her body look like? I think she's getting fat BUT I'm not sure what she should look like or feel like. She's like a ball with ears. Is that right?
Since you guys are show-ers/breeders, could you show me some pictures of what the proper look for a Dutch is? Or tell me is she looks normal per breed standard?
I think she weighs about 4 lbs.
Here are some pictures. And she's probably not posed right. Or the best example of the breed, since she's a pet shop Dutch.
2da0u3p.jpg

11vsmmv.jpg

2925unp.jpg

Thanks guys!

Ideal weight for a Dutch 6+ months old is 4 1/2 pounds. Do you know her approximate age? If she's still young then she may be a little overweight. Dutch have a full, rounded hindquarter and hers is fairly rounded but a little pinched.

Shes cute :) Dutch are a compact breed so they are supposed to be little balls. Short and round bodied. Its hard to find top down views of dutch just searching on google but maybe Blaze_Amita can get some pics of hers.

She's definitely got a longer body (Shoulders and midsection mainly). If she is young she could probably stand to loose or not gain much more

Heres a picture of a nice dutch posed. Definitely shorter bodied than yours but you can still tell they are round

20120704-014101.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you're saying Sarah! Thanks!
And she's 9 months old.

Thanks guys! I think she needs to loose a little weight. Thats easier said than done with little porky. haha.

Sarah's post/picture is right on. :) Your girl is a bit long in the shoulder/midsection and appears pinched in the hindquarter. She has beautiful markings though! On show Dutch, they're to have very precise and even markings. Even the one in Sarah's pic is a little "wiggly." Dutch are a very difficult breed to work with since you have to try for correct body AND markings.

I've read that its SO difficult to get a Dutch that is marked right. Like, even if the parents have perfect markings, the babies could still come out wonky like mine! haha. I couldn't even imagine trying to breed these for show!
I do love perfectly marked Dutch too, especially the chins. But I like my little mismarked girl! LOL

Thanks for all your help guys!

The nice thing about Dutch is that you know very quickly whether they're good show quality or not. With a lot of breeds you have to wait...and wait...:waiting:

Latest posts

Back