New Bunny Owner here! Needs good advice!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadburysMomma

Reaction score
About 2 months ago, my friend rescued a baby bunny from a warehouse she worked in. She couldn't keep her because of her dogs. So I took her in.

I have yet to take her to the vet due to the crazy weather and my work schedule. However, she seems very healthy and happy. She has grown so much since we have taken her in. I have a cage with bedding with food and water. I also have a playpen for her to run around in. I clean her cage daily. I refill her water daily. I feed her pellets, and a variety of carrots and lettuce along with alfalfa hay.

I continuously do research for her to ensure she's healthy and happy. Is there anything else I can do? What would be the best bedding/litter? I would really appreciate the feedback!

About 2 months ago, my friend rescued a baby bunny from a warehouse she worked in. She couldn't keep her because of her dogs. So I took her in.

So, after you took in your friend, what happened to the bunny?

What would be the best bedding/litter?

You'll probably get a range of answers.

To start with the worst - avoid any unprocessed softwood, like cedar or pine shavings (I'm told that kiln-dried pine is OK, but I'd avoid it on general principles). Those sorts of woods produce chemicals (phenols) which can be harmful to bunny lungs. The cedar smell is nice to us, but harmful to them.

Also avoid clumping cat litter. Bunnies can (will) ingest the litter, and it can set up in their digestive systems forming blockages.

Some people like to just use hay, or hay over a layer of newspaper. Rabbits do like to chew while they use their litter, so the hay will serve both purposes. I've avoided that, primarily on cost grounds (and to minimize the likelihood that the bunny will come to decide that any pile of hay is a litter box).

What I use is aspen shavings over a thick layer of newspaper. Aspen's a hardwood, so there's no concern about phenols. The newspaper absorbs the urine, and it's basically free (the best use I've found for the weekly shopping ads which appear in my mailbox). The aspen keeps the smell in the newspaper, and it's reasonably priced. I put a handful of hay in a corner of the box for Natasha to munch on, and all's well.

... a baby bunny

I feed her pellets, and a variety of carrots and lettuce along with alfalfa hay.

Is there anything else I can do? !

Do you have any idea of bunny's age?
Carrots are more of a treat (high in sugar) and should only be fed very sparingly. A 5-7 lb rabbit should not get more than a 1" slice per day. (and it really is best to not feed carrot every day even in the smaller amount)

I use the wood pellets (not shavings) for litter. They are great at absorbing odor and are quite inexpensive. I have 2 rabbits sharing a litter box and I only need to change it about twice per week with those wood pellets.

For the pellet food, her age will determine how much she should get. Rabbits over 6 months should get limited food pellets. And plain pellets are best (no colorful add ins).

You may know some or all of this, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

For a quick overview of rabbit care, you are welcome to take a look at my website. (I don't sell anything ;) )

If you find you still have any questions, I'm sure the members here on RO (me too) will be happy to help!

Thank you so much! I'm not sure how old she is at all. She was very tiny when we got her and now she looks to be full grown. So if I was to guess probably just a few weeks old?

My favourite litter is also the wood pellet litter, works great :) I used to use the newspaper pellets but I don't like them as much as they didn't absorb odors as well.

What variety of lettuce are you feeding? Lettuce is fine (if you get mushy poops, just reduce the amount) but iceberg lettuce should not be fed, other varieties are good.

I never use iceberg lettuce. I read that's a no no. I usually feed her field greens.

Back