Bunny going bald

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnieK

Reaction score
My bunny is about 9 years old and started getting bald spots about a week ago. It started with a small spot behind her right eye, then a bigger spot behind that, then a big patch behind her head, and tonight she's got a small bald patch behind her left eye. I took her to the vet after discovering the first bald spot. He had me use revolution and a topical antifungal solution, but the bald spots keep getting bigger. After about a week he gave me an oral medication but after two days it doesn't seem to be helping. The bald spot has flakes of skin around the edges. I've attached a picture. Does anybody know what might be causing this? She's eating, drinking, and pooping regularly. Help!

Thanks, Annie

image.jpg

My bunny is about 9 years old and started getting bald spots about a week ago. It started with a small spot behind her right eye, then a bigger spot behind that, then a big patch behind her head, and tonight she's got a small bald patch behind her left eye. I took her to the vet after discovering the first bald spot. He had me use revolution and a topical antifungal solution, but the bald spots keep getting bigger. After about a week he gave me an oral medication but after two days it doesn't seem to be helping. The bald spot has flakes of skin around the edges. I've attached a picture. Does anybody know what might be causing this? She's eating, drinking, and pooping regularly. Help!

Thanks, Annie
-- I thought of fleas,--sounds like the balding started first-yes/no,-?-was the revolution used behind the head/neck area.??-is the balding area red or inflamed.?-antifungal cream -may not be a good idea,,--be very careful of anything they can lick off their feet,..-have you tried betadine on the balding area,,-watch for any behavioral differences-ie.eating drinking,playing,--try to minimize scratching...sincerely james waller--:bunnyhug:

Were her ears thoroughly checked for infection? Just throwing ideas out there, but what if she's got an ear infection andi s scratching the base of the ear all over.

Was blood work done? Since you have used revolution the thought of endocine system issues pops out to me. Adrenal gland thyoid diabetic many internal issues can cause hair loss especially in older animals. Any other symptoms? Think back a few months. Water intake and output. weight gain loss. Etc

If it is a lump like it looks to me there is probably an abscess under there, either from inner ear or tooth roots. I would try to have a head x-ray done. Make sure you are seeing a very rabbit-experienced vet. Oral antibiotics along with injectible might help, such as a combination of injected pen g bicillin and oral zithromax.

The topical med is micozale and the oral is ketoconazole. The vet said it's okay to give her both at the same time. Yes the revolution was put behind the head/neck area, about the same place she's going bald. The balding areas don't appear inflamed, only thing out of the ordinary is the flaking skin, and they look like skin flakes, not mites (from what I could tell by looking at pictures online). The only big change recently was she stayed at a neighbor's house for two days and they have two small dogs, but that was a few weeks ago. I don't think it was stress because we have a much bigger dog at home. All of her behavior seems normal, though right now she hates me because I'm trying to give her the oral medication. :(

Sounds like the vet thinks it is ringworm. They can pick that up from other animals, you, even the hay or grass if they go outside. Hope the treatment takes care of it. If not, keep at it as what it looks like to me is a serious ear infection or tooth root abscess. Of course I am only looking at pictures on the internet so your vet knows best.

Latest posts

Back