Is it weird that...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will spaying a rabbit prevent bites?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

ldoerr

Reaction score
Is it weird that I can not remember how many times that my rabbits have bit me since I have had them? (about a month). MOST of the bites have not bled heavily, but some have. Almost all break the skin. I think that a big part of it is that Shiny Things is cage aggressive and that neither one is spayed (getting it done on the 7th).

Should getting them spayed calm them down and make them friendlier?

Buster still bites :( I sprayed him with water 3 times one night, and it stopped him biting for about 3 days... but now he's started again and the water won't help anymore.

Unfortunately I can't help because I have the same problem (and he's neutered.) So good luck!

Agnes has never bit me. Not even once!

She has nibbled to groom me or for attention when she was a baby but hasn't done that for months and was never even close to a bite.

I think it's more personality vs. spay. Except maybe cage aggression (which Agnes doesn't have either) may calm down with a spay but otheriwse i think its individual bun behaviour. However would never discourage a spay. I think it's better for bunny.

I think a lot of it is personality.

Oreo, has never bit me. She has never even nibbled me. She headbutts A LOT and pushes me around lol but never bit me. I just got her spayed last Wednesday and I havent noticed a difference in anything except pee pee smell (it isnt so strong). Oreo digs NON STOP and I was hoping the spay would help, as of yet, no signs in changing that. I cleaned her cage spotless and in 10 minutes it looked as if it has been neglected for a month! :(

Did Shiny Things ever bite you when you owned her the first go round?

Not that I remember. I hate to have to admit though that she did not get much attention when I had her before. I have 30 rabbits so no one got as much attention as they needed.

I love her soooo much.

ldoerr

When do your rabbits bite the most?

1) While you stick your hand in their cage?

2) Or bites are totally and completely unpredictable?

If bites are predictable just wear a glove when you think or know they will bite.

1 out of 5 bites at my house. And it would be the Tinky my Female French Lop. I've had her since 8 weeks old, spayed at 4 months, 3-1/2 yr old now. Lives like a queen. Stick your hand in her house, bitey, bitey.

My bun has bitten me one time, and she bit my thumb nail so hard it cracked and bled under the nail, in the middle of my nail. It was awful. That was the only time she ever bit me, shes not spayed. When she did bite me, it stuck my hand in her cage to pick up her food bowl and she lunged. It was after I had my son, so she wasn't getting out very much. I think she was really mad that she couldn't be free and she attacked. She hasn't done it since, but she gets out of her cage every day for a few hours and gets to run around and love on me and the cats. Now, I can feed her by hand now, even the smallest pieces of food and she never bites.
Maybe your bun is a little unhappy. Do they get out enough? I think thats why mine bit me. Hopefully, getting them spayed/neutered will help with the biting. Good luck!

Sounds like Hutch aggression. It's the same with children and their toys--"Mine" was what your child would say. Bunnies nip and bite when they fell their "territory" is being invaded. All my biters learned that there were consequences to that kind of behavior.

She has started to do it when she is out to run. I try to sweep up a little of the poop so that it is not COVERING the floor, and she lunges at and bites the broom and comes close to biting me. I also found out yesterday that she has a thing for jeans. I was doing things in the kitchen (also known as bunny run room) and I was wearing jeans. Shiny Things came up a few times and nibbled at and pulled at my jeans. She has never done that with/to me before. When I reached down to put her she ran away. O well. It was still cute and sweet.

mine are FASCINATED with the broom... they'll watch it eagerly and even stalk it like a cat with prey o_O

Latest posts

Back