Rabbit worms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddysMom

Reaction score
Freddy was out running around as usual and leftsome poops and as i went to clean them up, i saw two greenish whitethings squirming...i looked closer and i think they look like littleworms....I saved the poop in a ziplock bag and im calling the vet inthe am, but is there anything i can do in the meantime and has anyonedealt with rabbit worms? I would have no idea how he would get them!

I personally would take Freddy to the vet, itmay turn out to be nothing but if it is tapeworm or something grosslike that you could get it as well :shock:

I had to take Nimue to the vet for "Ringworm" it ended up being a bigscratched that he scratched even more....soo $100 was just thrown outthe door but atleast I knew I wouldnt get some worm.

How are Tapeworms diagnosed?
Unlike other intestinal parasites of the dog or cat, tapeworms don'tlay eggs inside the pet. For that reason, when veterinarians performfecal floatations looking for parasite eggs, tapeworms are oftenoverlooked. We usually have to see the segments stuck to the hairsaround the anus, or in the feces or environment to diagnose tapeworms.

http://www.dr-dan.com/tapeworm.htm

Then again it also just could be something that crawled onto the droppings, but better same then sorry :)

~Amy

ayglnu13 wrote:
I personally would take Freddy to the vet, it may turn outto be nothing but if it is tapeworm or something gross like that youcould get it as well :shock:

I had to take Nimue to the vet for "Ringworm" it ended up being a bigscratched that he scratched even more....soo $100 was just thrown outthe door but atleast I knew I wouldnt get some worm.

How are Tapeworms diagnosed?
Unlike other intestinal parasites of the dog or cat, tapeworms don'tlay eggs inside the pet. For that reason, when veterinarians performfecal floatations looking for parasite eggs, tapeworms are oftenoverlooked. We usually have to see the segments stuck to the hairsaround the anus, or in the feces or environment to diagnose tapeworms.

http://www.dr-dan.com/tapeworm.htm

Then again it also just could be something that crawled onto the droppings, but better same then sorry :)

~Amy
With tapeworm, you would see little white things in the poop.They can be really tiny and the won't move. I would have himchecked out though, he could still have a tapeworm because the whitethings can be too small to see. It more likely is a round orhook worm. (Unfortunately almost all living things have somesort of worms, it's almost inevitable. Oh, it just grosses meout )

Jen

Morning Freddy's Mom! :wave:

You did exactly the right thing by saving the worm and making anappointment with the vet. I wouldn't start any treatment until you'vehad it tested and know for sure what type of worm you're dealing withbe it pinworms, tapeworms, or roundworms.

Let us know what the vet says. Ivermectin is effective againstroundworms. Ringworm can be caught by humans, so do be careful.

Keep us posted. Be sure to let us know what the vet says it is.

-Carolyn

saturdaynightchump.gif

animpequins.gif

dance.gif

I'M DANCING!!!! :D

~Amy

ahhh...two hours in the vets office...at least i got to play with some cute kittens :)

The tech said the fecal exam came back negative but there weredefinately squigly white things in there last night! if you go to page4 of this pdf the pictures on the left and middle is what it lookedlike.http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nematodes.PDF

anywho..they still sent me home with medicine just in case they gave meStrongid..i have to give it to them now and again in two weeks and theytold me it was nothing serious to worry about and they only charged mefor one rabbits medicine so t he day turned out well! thanks for allyour replys!!

:ele:and heres a lil dance from me!!

Latest posts

Back