Rabbits Online > Pet Rabbit Discussion > Housing and Environment > Persuading the parents: Rabbits should be indoors

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 AM   #21
RavenousDragon
RABBIT_SUPPORTER.png
 
RavenousDragon's Avatar
Join Date: May 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 476
Liked 119 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 247

Default

My rabbits HATE the outdoors. They get free run of the apartment and are offered leash time outdoors. My male does spend some time on the balcony (don't worry, it's 100% enclosed), but every time her hears a person (which is often), he freaks out and wants inside. My rabbits would NOT do well outdoors, since they are definitely indoor bunnies (sort of like outdoor vs. indoor cats). They do, however, get free run of the apartment when we are home to supervise, and access to look out a window when we are not. I think it depends on the rabbit. Even my female, who is fine with wearing her harness inside and LOVES going to the vet/events where she is inside, does not like how 'dirty' the outside world is (she literally just cleans her feet every time we go out ).


RavenousDragon is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #22
rabbitgirl54
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default i am having the same problem

i have wanted my rabbits inside since the day my parents have said i could get them and they told me not because they would be happier outside but the only way i can bond with them is inside because of our dogs and the dogs would do no harm i just fear of stressing them at all and i feel like it would be better because then i could be with them more and could buy them more of the cuddle cups etc. then they would have since they live outdoors but i feel my battle with my parents will be very very long



- rabbitgirl54, stormy and baby


rabbitgirl54 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #23
Alek
 
Alek's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Posts: 117
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncingBunniez View Post
Thank you Alek!
It has been a while since I have posted and I am glad to stay George does get to stay indoors at night. I am still working on the indoor living situation... but I don't think my parents will budge.

One thing I always have trouble persuading is if George wants to live inside or not. My parents point out that he has lived outdoors free-range his whole life and loves being outside. And that it isn't right to keep him inside for my own 'amusement'. But when you think about it because he has been outdoors his entire life he will naturally feel at home outside not indoors.

I was thinking of doing a petition and asking how many signatures my parents wanted in order for George to be let inside but when I repeated that through my mind I actually sounded quite 'bratty'

If you have any thoughts I'll be glad to hear
I think rabbit safety is important, and letting your parents know that indoors doesn't mean you can't take your bunny outdoors to play in a fenced area, or on a harness. Several of my rabbits started out before I had them as free range outdoor bunnies, or hutch rabbits, to living with me indoors. But I took them outside everyday on a harness to run around while I was gardening. Back when I had my last rabbit, it was pretty funny, because my neighbor would have his 3 cats sitting outside at the table with us, my two dogs would be on their tie outs, and I'd have my rabbit on the tie out with the dogs. We had quite the menagerie and they all got along.
Exercise and mental stimulation is the most important thing for a bunnies happiness. But you can have the bunny spend most of it's time indoors, and go outside for play time. I enjoy having a bunny indoors because they get more one of one time with their person.
__________________
I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.
Alek is offline  
rabbitgirl54 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #24
BouncingBunniez
 
BouncingBunniez's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alek View Post
I think rabbit safety is important, and letting your parents know that indoors doesn't mean you can't take your bunny outdoors to play in a fenced area, or on a harness. Several of my rabbits started out before I had them as free range outdoor bunnies, or hutch rabbits, to living with me indoors. But I took them outside everyday on a harness to run around while I was gardening. Back when I had my last rabbit, it was pretty funny, because my neighbor would have his 3 cats sitting outside at the table with us, my two dogs would be on their tie outs, and I'd have my rabbit on the tie out with the dogs. We had quite the menagerie and they all got along.
Exercise and mental stimulation is the most important thing for a bunnies happiness. But you can have the bunny spend most of it's time indoors, and go outside for play time. I enjoy having a bunny indoors because they get more one of one time with their person.
Thank you for your help I think what you did to transition your rabbits from a outdoor to an indoor life is amazing help.
Taking your rabbits personalities into consideration 2 questions I would like to ask are:

How long did it take for the rabbits to feel 'secure' into the indoor enviroment?

Did you ever feel they were sad to be indoors?

If you have any other advice to add please feel free to

I have also got the green light to purchase some NIC grids!

Thank you so much Alek!
BouncingBunniez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:47 AM   #25
BouncingBunniez
 
BouncingBunniez's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitgirl54 View Post
i have wanted my rabbits inside since the day my parents have said i could get them and they told me not because they would be happier outside but the only way i can bond with them is inside because of our dogs and the dogs would do no harm i just fear of stressing them at all and i feel like it would be better because then i could be with them more and could buy them more of the cuddle cups etc. then they would have since they live outdoors but i feel my battle with my parents will be very very long



- rabbitgirl54, stormy and baby
Hi rabbitgirl54,
I am kinda in the same delema I have tried lots of different 'tac tics' such as:

Doing my research on why indoor living is better for example:

-Rabbits live longer indoors
-Rabbits can be abused by animals and humans
-Rabbits can die of fright.. so if they saw a racoon, fox or snake (something scary) they can die instantly
-Rabbits who live outside are usually forgotten about and aren't used to human contact
-Rabbits are more likely to get a disease called fly strike
-A myth many people think is that pet rabbits know what plants are bad for them when actually they don't and they can die because of this.
-Rabbits also don't know if the grass has deadly fertilisers and/or pesticides on it
-Insects can harm and even kill rabbits more living outdoors
-exposure to the elements
-Your rabbit won't have a strong bond with you compared to someone owning a indoor rabbit

There are also indoor problems are well some are:

-hay gets everywhere
-need to rabbit-proof otherwise lots of chewed cords, nibbled furniture and so on..
-need to be litter trained or poop will be everywhere
-Rabbits will want to dig and will dig the carpet
-Rabbits are very adventurous... and will explore and could potently harm themselves while exploring e.g jumping and breaking their spine, etc.

As you can see there are a lot of cons to living outside.

I have also found doing a presentation to your parents might help. I have found this idea on other forms and it seems to have worked.

In this presentation you can explain:

The pros and cons of living indoors and the pros and cons of living outdoors

Why you think your rabbit(s) should live indoors

What you are prepared to do so your rabbit(s) can come inside e.g
-Clean daily for no smell
-Do homework before letting them out for playtime
and etc.

And a trial period

A trial period is when you ask if your rabbit can live inside for two weeks or more or less and your parents see if they like it or not. I do not recommend this as if your parents do say no at the end of the trial period and you take your rabbit outside again the outdoors have a sudden temperature change e.g when you leave the house and go outside the temperature is not the same as it is inside it cold be colder or hotter outside.

I hope my ideas helped! I think I suggested some of these ideas in dept a little more back a few posts - maybe on page 1

I also have a dog and he gets along will my rabbit George ok. What breed is your dog? Is s/he a hunting breed?

Hope this helps
-BouncingBunniez
BouncingBunniez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 AM   #26
BouncingBunniez
 
BouncingBunniez's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenousDragon View Post
My rabbits HATE the outdoors. They get free run of the apartment and are offered leash time outdoors. My male does spend some time on the balcony (don't worry, it's 100% enclosed), but every time her hears a person (which is often), he freaks out and wants inside. My rabbits would NOT do well outdoors, since they are definitely indoor bunnies (sort of like outdoor vs. indoor cats). They do, however, get free run of the apartment when we are home to supervise, and access to look out a window when we are not. I think it depends on the rabbit. Even my female, who is fine with wearing her harness inside and LOVES going to the vet/events where she is inside, does not like how 'dirty' the outside world is (she literally just cleans her feet every time we go out ).
Your male seems like a little cutie And your female sounds adorable! I loved hearing what your bunnies thought about the 'outdoor world' And I would love to hear more

-BouncingBunniez
BouncingBunniez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #27
BouncingBunniez
 
BouncingBunniez's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperina View Post
My personal opinion (no intention to hurt anyone)
- keeping rabbits indoors 100% of time sucks big time (from rabbit's perspective, I think). My rabbits spend a night inside (in garage) and a whole day they are outside. Once I had to keep one of them inside for several days due to illness, and she became clearly depressed from seeing no sun. The vet told me to let her out even though her condition called for staying indoors. He said her moral health is even more important. I let her out and she got well soon.
- at night, I think it's better for them to be indoors. Just for safety and weather reasons. Not sure about big changes in temperature. Never had a problem with it, but I keep it cool in garage for them.
Of course, when the weather is extreme all this doesn't apply. I bring them in when too hot, too cold, tornado, bad thunderstorm, etc.
- Its easier to bond with a human when they spend some time in the house, especially if you have only 1 bun. But I would still take him out every day. We all need sunshine to thrive.

PS I pretty much agree with your parents.
Have you thought about getting him a bunny friend? (sorry I haven;t read thru the whole thread)
Hi Thumperina
So far George is living to exactly what you said, Free ranging outdoors daily and at night coming inside. I liked seeing your opinion on this and am wondering what your experiences are with outdoor and indoor housing.

Thank you on your opinion
-BouncingBunniez
BouncingBunniez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:46 AM   #28
rabbitgirl54
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 21
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncingBunniez View Post
Hi rabbitgirl54,
I am kinda in the same delema I have tried lots of different 'tac tics' such as:

Doing my research on why indoor living is better for example:

-Rabbits live longer indoors
-Rabbits can be abused by animals and humans
-Rabbits can die of fright.. so if they saw a racoon, fox or snake (something scary) they can die instantly
-Rabbits who live outside are usually forgotten about and aren't used to human contact
-Rabbits are more likely to get a disease called fly strike
-A myth many people think is that pet rabbits know what plants are bad for them when actually they don't and they can die because of this.
-Rabbits also don't know if the grass has deadly fertilisers and/or pesticides on it
-Insects can harm and even kill rabbits more living outdoors
-exposure to the elements
-Your rabbit won't have a strong bond with you compared to someone owning a indoor rabbit

There are also indoor problems are well some are:

-hay gets everywhere
-need to rabbit-proof otherwise lots of chewed cords, nibbled furniture and so on..
-need to be litter trained or poop will be everywhere
-Rabbits will want to dig and will dig the carpet
-Rabbits are very adventurous... and will explore and could potently harm themselves while exploring e.g jumping and breaking their spine, etc.

As you can see there are a lot of cons to living outside.

I have also found doing a presentation to your parents might help. I have found this idea on other forms and it seems to have worked.

In this presentation you can explain:

The pros and cons of living indoors and the pros and cons of living outdoors

Why you think your rabbit(s) should live indoors

What you are prepared to do so your rabbit(s) can come inside e.g
-Clean daily for no smell
-Do homework before letting them out for playtime
and etc.

And a trial period

A trial period is when you ask if your rabbit can live inside for two weeks or more or less and your parents see if they like it or not. I do not recommend this as if your parents do say no at the end of the trial period and you take your rabbit outside again the outdoors have a sudden temperature change e.g when you leave the house and go outside the temperature is not the same as it is inside it cold be colder or hotter outside.

I hope my ideas helped! I think I suggested some of these ideas in dept a little more back a few posts - maybe on page 1

I also have a dog and he gets along will my rabbit George ok. What breed is your dog? Is s/he a hunting breed?

Hope this helps
-BouncingBunniez
thank you for the info but i have already had a bunny brought inside because of health and i have figured these things out but thanks for the thought i truly mean it when i say thanks i really hope i can bring the others in too! thank you again
rabbitgirl54 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #29
BouncingBunniez
 
BouncingBunniez's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitgirl54 View Post
thank you for the info but i have already had a bunny brought inside because of health and i have figured these things out but thanks for the thought i truly mean it when i say thanks i really hope i can bring the others in too! thank you again
Great I'm so happy to hear your bunny is inside


BouncingBunniez is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
housing, lonely, outdoor, parent, rabbit

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can rabbits live indoors all year long? fluffybuns General Rabbit Discussion 4 12-30-2014 08:47 AM
Anyone us a Superyard to keep your rabbits indoors? doodlebugger Housing and Environment 1 07-01-2011 01:58 PM
Rabbits housed indoors -Do you ever let them outside?? Nikki_Shortstuff Nutrition and Behavior 15 01-07-2011 07:43 PM
Persuading Parents PepnFluff Let Your Hare Down 10 02-11-2008 04:35 AM
Are your bunnies/rabbits indoors or outdoors? petkeeper General Rabbit Discussion 26 11-15-2007 11:25 PM





Newest Threads