Rabbit dental ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
AJ has to have a dental done as his back teeth are somewhat sharp. I am thinking doing this in the next couple of weeks but was wondering a couple of things.

1. How long does it take for the bunny to bounce back from the procedure? Are they usually eating normally the same day?

2. If AJ has this dental will it make it so he'll be more likely to need them a lot? Or is it unknown?

Just curious as I am low income.
Doesn't change my love for him but it will change the way my stuff is paid or even kept. Animals stay

1) If it was just a filing of the teeth, they should be eating within a few hours (mine literally eats the second she is awake after a trim).
2) Often, a change in diet (to lots and lots of hay!) will reduce the need for those dental trims (their teeth grow forever like our finger nails and hay wears them down). If he already has a lot of hay, they often do need them regularly- but not always. It is most common in dwarf rabbits and lops- their faces are not quite shaped right (think pug only less dramatic) and this leads to teeth not wearing down appropriately.

It's not cheap to maintain a rabbit with teeth problems so I hope you can find a solution! Some suggestions I've heard that seem to work is to use oat grass hay if you can get it- as it tends to be more abrasive. Timothy is a lot cheaper for me, so I use both kinds. I also have had good luck with Katee Timothy Cubes every couple days (these are not as good for the GI system as regular hay, but they seem to help keep the teeth in check as a treat; they also have a little bit of alfalfa in them, so you have to monitor their urinary habits pretty closely if you have a bunny prone to urinary issues). Neither of these will replace molar trims, but they may help prolong the time in between.

AJ is a Netherland Dwarf. Looks like I'm gonna be saving money for possible dentals in the future.

Thank you for the advice on the oat hay and the cubes! Looks like Nanny (my mom)gets to "spoil" her furry grandsons more with good treats. lol

He gets timothy hay right now with some greens. Right now I have a small herb garden growing for him. I try to get other greens when I can and I am limiting his fruit and sweets to about once a week to every two weeks.

Will try to get the oat hay. I have to wait until after the 3rd because of 2 reasons. But after that dental and oat hay are a priority.

If orchard grass hay is available, that will also work- I forgot about that last night (I was sleepy when I was writing it apparently) and it actually works even better than oat hay.

It sounds like from your post diet isn't the issue- hay is the most important and it sounds like he's been having plenty of that!!

Dwarfs are my favorite breed, but I could definitely do without their teeth problems! :)

Ravenous.

I have some from Oxbow but I have yet to see my stinker AJ eat any of the orchard grass.

I am wondering if his teeth are bothering him more because I pet him on the head like usual and he leans into my hand with the left side of his face and likes both sides rubbed. He also doesn't mind his eyes rubbed.

I can't wait to get my check this month.

Oh rabbits. They might be bothering him, but if he's still eating and drinking well, he's probably ok to wait until you can afford it. In my personal experience, even rabbits with the worst teeth only need it once per month. Good luck with your little cutie!

I don't know if it's available where you are, and my rabbits never had dental problems (knock on wood) but I was told several times that Cunipic dental, combined with lots of hay of course, is really efficient to lengthen the time between fillings. I don't know if it might help your bunny, but it's probably worth a shot considering how expensive vet care is. I hope the dental goes well and that you find a solution to pay for things.

Ali
I will look it up.

I have an appointment for Tuesday for AJ. I asked how they do the teeth and the anesthesia as I want as little stress as possible for him. They use a towel to wrap them and then use a mask for anesthesia, and they file the teeth. I am going to send a list of questions with him for the vet that way I can have it written on paper and it will be easier to follow.

Latest posts

Back