DIY indoor house.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kinai

Reaction score
I am thinking of Building AJ his own house. I have questions though.

1. Safe wooded to use?

2. Can wood be bed or painted on inside of house and if so what type to use

3. Thinking of using a semi thin chicken type wire hexagon pattern with all sharp points covered by angled wood.

4. How deep front to back should the average house be? It will definitely be long enough.

My plan for covering wire in the corners and other is to do this. Day I have a 2x2 for the outside corner piece. Cut one inch into the piece on two sides so it meets at a right angle in the middle. Take the piece that was removed and cut that corner to corn so you end up with 2 triangles.
Place the wire between, bent against the inside right angle cut and place the triangle so it matches over it. Thus you have the wire sandwiched and a flat but angled corner. And if that made sense your good lol

Are you referring to a cage or just a hidey house inside a cage?

If you use wood - any wood- it will be chewed. Paint isn't a good idea because then bunny will be chewing paint.

The chicken wire (hexagon pattern) can be chewed through by a persistent bunny.

Are you familiar with NIC (or cube) cages? These are easier to make, sturdier than chicken wire, and probably would be cheaper than the DIY you describe.

Here is a sample of an old NIC cage I had. Many RO members have these types of cages.

Size recommendations depend on the realistic amount of time bunny will get each day outside of the cage (in a bunny-proofed area). The one in the photo is about 30" x 60" base measurement.

IM000411.jpg

Wood house is better for my situation and custom is better also as I am not supposed to have him so I need to have a way to hide him reasonably well but still have him be comfortable. To make it look like furniture that can be closed to fool people is the ultimate goal.

It is going to be over 6 foot long, two levels, will probly do at least 30 in deep. It will be near a window but the top will be just at or just above the window sill and I will make it so the back top can open so he can get some sun.

I am very limited on the time I can take him out of his cage. But I figured the large "hutch" while it won't make up for it, will be more space than he's ever had.

I am going to use the wire as it can span larger distance. But the house will be made so I can place prices of wood on the front to make it look like a piece of furniture when I have to hide him

Last edited:
You could use wired closet shelving to span openings rather than the chicken wire (which can be chewed through). The hardware store can cut it to size for you.

The cage size you have would be 15 square feet (minus space for litter box, dishes, beds, etc).

Have you considered re-purposing actual furniture (perhaps something cheap from Craig's list)? I used an old kitchen oven cabinet for my cage.
My cage is quite small but the cage door is open from morning til midnight every day. This video shows how I made it. Perhaps that will give you some ideas or inspire you with ideas of your own-- especially if you find something large like a TV/stereo cabinet or large dresser.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd27D9yJ2zs[/ame]

Blue eyes.
Nice house. Inside dimensions on AJs house will be 6 1/2 feet long and 30 inches deep front to back. The height will be 18 - 19 inches where AJ will be. One end will have access to the second level. Half of the top will be able to open so he can "sunbathe" in the cage in the summer. Your house DID give me ALOT of ideas though.

I'll write again

Latest posts

Back