Are Green Beans Safe

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
Hi I bought the Babies a Vegetable Garden Salad (hay treat) for Christmas. It has some nice dried herbs, carrots. It also has freeze dries green beans and Green peas. Are those two veggies safe for rabbits?

I didlook in the library but every page I opened said "Error"

Thanks

Susan:)

All that I could find was that they are not on the "toxic" nor "recommended veggies" lists. Gotta love those "gray area" veggies... :grumpy: Sorry, that wasn't much help... :(

I have found greens on the Rabbit Welfare Association list as being safe to feed, but I have also heard people say that they aren't safe.

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/?section=leaflets.html#diet

From the above link, select the 'leaflet' 'Going Green' and there is a big list there- it's a PDF document!

I have fed green beans (the fine bean kind) to my buns before, very sparingly, with no ill effects. They don't get them at all regularly though, and haven't for a while. I believe that they are quite sugary and therefore likely to cause gas, which might explain where the view that they are unsafe comes from? I'm not sure...

:)

I know I have seen green beans on the "don't feed" list (these lists do vary,) however)

peas are very high in carbs and i wouldn't feed them but I don't think they are toxic.
I'll try to find something specific

Thanks everyone. Yeah they are dried, I've been picking them out just in case. It does smell really good though. They all eat it up real fast like little piggies.

Susan:)

i always stay away from the gray area foods and only feed what is on the yes list

I have fed green beans before. I think they are on the not reccomended list because they can cause gas with their higher sugar content. My guys don't really like them, so I only get them when they're on huge sale in the summer. I'm sure a little bit wouldn't hurt, as it's not a toxicity issue but a possible gas issue.

Latest posts

Back