Wild baby rabbits i need HELP!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuddlesMom

Reaction score
I by accident dug up a rabbits nest in mygarden! I found 5 babies, the nest did not make it cause we used a rototiller to dig the garden and we unfortunately killed one. I took thebabies in my house not sure what to do. I then took the mothers hairand dug a hole and put the hair in there placed the babies back inthere...and covered the babies up with hay. But the naturing person iam i took the rabbits back into my house not sure they would survivethe night. I started bottle feeding them now today i seen a rabbit inthe garden by the nest i kinda rigged up. My ? is is there anyway i canput the babied back or is it 2 late cause the mommy has seenthe nest is empty???!! And i started bottle feeding themionly handeled them a few times bare handed....im now using rubbergloves......im at a total loss...i dont want to put them back if themomma is gonna eat them. Can someone please help me?? Thanks!

i have honestly never had to deal with this type ofsituation. I think that what you had first done was the right thing. Iwould put them back. The liklely-hood of their surviving, even withyour diligent care, is small. Put them back and check to see if theyare alright, everyday. The mother only feeds them twice a day. Charlotte

Hi Newmommieof4,

That's similar to how I ended up owning a bunny. My husbandsaved a baby wild rabbit from 3 neighborhood cats. Well I wasall excited and thought that I would get to keep it and raiseit. We took the baby to Petsmart and I talked with a ladythat does rabbit rescue. She said that baby wild rabbits havea white line from their noses to their ears and it gets smaller andfinally disappears about the time they are ready to beontheir own. (The baby we had hardly had any white lineleft.) Well I was determined that we were still going to keepit until she said that it would eventually end up killing itself tryingto get out of a cage and that it was best if we would let itgo. Unfortunately, wild baby rabbits only have about a 1 in10 chance of survival, because of all of the predators outthere. Snakes, hawks, owls, cats etc. So after afew tears over the thought that ours would not make it through thenight, my husband let it go the next morning. We saw it (welike to think) a few months later and he was getting bigger and doingfine. A week after we let the wild baby go, we got ourrabbit. By then, I had the bunny fever and had to have one.

I would suggest letting them go, (if their white line isgone.) Maybe contact your local rabbit rescue organizationfor more pointers. The longer you hold onto them the morethey will get used to being fed and not having to look for itthemselves. Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out.

hmmmmmm...yes i do plan on letting them go but atthis point they are little... eyes closed but they do have hair..id saythey are about 6 inches long, anyway my question is now since they havebeen outta of the nest now for almost 2 days if i put them back willshe care for them the mother??!! Believe me after feedingthem i know they need there momma im sure she would do a much betterjob!!!:)Can someone answer my ? ^^

We had this experience a few springs...with two baby bunnies.

We had called a wildliferescue who suggested we bring the babies to them, to take care of andrelease, but they also gave us suggestions, if we wanted to care forthem on our own, until they were ready to bereleased.

SO, being the animallovers we are...we kept them! We fed them baby formula (suggested bythe wildlife rescue) and kept them in a hay and shavings filled catcarrier. Once they were big enough and we saw them begin to eat thefresh veggies andthose cubed rabbit things...can't think ofthe name at the moment...we had out, we released them backoutside.

The wildlife had told us,if they were released and ran off...that was great. However, if theywere released and were scared to leave the cage, or ran out andsuddenly stopped, and failed to run away, that they were probably toscared to go and then to bring them to the wildliferescue.

Well, much to our happytears, they hopped away and out of site!

So...do what you feel isright for you...if you have the time to care for them it can be quitean experience...but if not, then find a wildlife rescue near you andthey will gladly take them and get them on the road tofreedom!

~Dionne

WOW! You all where a great help!We aregoing to keep them UNTILL they are big enough to eat rabbit food andset them free hopefully they will make it on there own....Im sorry forall these ?'s but how often should you be feeding them i was doing itevery 4 hrs now im seeing that the momma only feeds them twice aday???! So is am and pm enough? Oh yeah when do there eyes open? Thankseveryone i appreicate all your help i can get!

Latest posts

Back