question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandyj

Reaction score
I will be getting a bunny and baby chicksthis spring. I am wondering if anyone knows if these 2 kinds of animals can live together in peace and harmony? I live in the city and don't have alot of room for extra housing. I will be building a chicken coop this spring and hope I can save space by housing them together. Any ideas???

Sandy J

I have never heard of chicks and bunnies getting along together ....is this going to be an Easter type of thing? Just asking, because you mentioned Spring, Bunnies & Chicks - that rings Easter to me.

Also, this is in the wrong section, but maybe a Mod will move it.

A rabbit probably shouldn't be housed outdoors with chickens. Not very safe, because they could peck him, and hurt him and all. Why not keep the rabbit in a large hutch in your yard, or in your home?

Emily

I have noticed that in your profile it says you will be getting a flemish giant.... think how small a chick is and then a flemmy :D:D

It really would be better if they were housed seperatly..

And remember:

A bunny is for ever not just for easter :D

Becca, Not to worry, I've had many rabbits and really enjoy them. This is not an Easter thing. I chose the spring time because the weather is much better to startthe babys. We also have not yet built housing for them yet. Ioriginally decided to get chickens for the eggs when they grow up. We have always housedour rabbits outside, even in Minnesota, whereit can get way below zero. Of course, it would bean insulated hutch with plenty of straw, food, water, and alot of attention. The Flemish would be a baby too. So I am hoping they will get along. Flemishes are gentle giants. I have a daughter with the name of Becca. She is 13 years old.Is nibbles your bunny? He is adorable!!!

Sandy J.

I have not heard of rabbits living with chickens, this is a cool site but I would beware it says Candy's favorite hobby is chasing the chickens, when she is out for her daily hop around.

pla725 wrote:
There is a cool site called the Hen Cam. It shows a lop eared rabbit named Candy living with Hens.

http://www.hencam.com/index.php

At the local rescue there is a English lop rabbit that was nearly pecked to death by chickens. I would not advise putting the two together. You could make a special room in the hen house for the rabbit to live though. Just fence part of theshed off, so the rabbit was safe.

~Hayley

When I was young (over 30 years ago) - we had rabbits sharing a pen with chickens. To be honest with you - we didn't know any better and they lived together fairly well.

HOWEVER..that was not due to what we were doing. We were just very very lucky and they had a huge pen area. I also don't remember how long they were penned together.

Knowing now what I know about rabbits - I wouldn't do it again.

However - I would think you could have their pens side by side or something...or let them share a building if you had a shed and the rabbit had its own hutch separate from the chickens.....

Latest posts

Back