Wish Me Luck, Please...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
My Cali boy needs at least one more dose of sub-Qs, after the vet discovered his stomach was very full with food material. He got sub-Qs yesterday in her office. (I administered them, but still had the vet tech. there for assistance, if needed).

Tonight, Hubby and I are going to give the fluids ourselves. Of course, I get to do the "sticking," as my guy isn't gung-ho on needles, much less on the idea inserting them into bona-fide skin. ;)

Jenk

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Oh man :( I hope things are easy!
I've now given sub-Qs to each of my three bunners at the vet's office; all three times, no one put up a fight or even moved a muscle.

I'm wondering if I should place him up high (e.g., on the kitchen counter) for better leverage and to discourage him from trying to move around a lot? I'd think that a bun might be more apt to possibly try to escape if on the floor with a needle stuck in its skin.

Good luck! The first time I had to try giving Nick fluids at home, I stuck myself with the first needle trying to take the cap off, stuck myself in the other hand putting on the second needle, then gave up. Luckily, the vet sent a lot of needles with me.

The second time, I did manage to successfully administer the fluids, but I was in a cold sweat the whole time.
Whenever I do any "treatments," the bunny is confined to part of my guest bathroom. (The sink part is one little room, with a door and another little room with the toilet/shower, so the "sink room" is ideal.) I put a towel over Nick's head just so he couldn't see what was going on around him, that seems to help calm him down.
I wouldn't feel comfortable having my bunnies on a counter, I would be afraid they could jump or fall off if the startled. That's their temperment, though.

You have an advantage over me, my vet just *showed* me how to do it and sent me home with the equipment. No practice. Of course, Nick is always an angel when he's at the vet, so it looked so easy.

Good luck, Jen! Let us know how it goes. I know I'd be nervous too. Does your gorgeous manbun have a name yet?

BethM wrote:
The first time I had to try giving Nick fluids at home, I stuck myself with the first needle trying to take the cap off, stuck myself in the other hand putting on the second needle, then gave up. Luckily, the vet sent a lot of needles with me.
:shock: LOL! (Forgive me for laughing at your misfortune. I hope it's one of those situations that was horrendous at the time, but at which you can now chuckle.)
I wouldn't feel comfortable having my bunnies on a counter, I would be afraid they could jump or fall off if the startled. That's their temperment, though.
Myhusband was there to "spot" me (i.e., hold the bun in place).He never tried to move during the procedure, even though the needle started to slip out and I had to re-insert it.Poor guy! But all in all, things went rather well. *Whew!*

SnowyShiloh wrote:
Does your gorgeous manbun have a name yet?
I'm embarrassed to admit that we're probably going to keep his shelter-given name (Pinkerton), which works in the sense that I can still use my devised nickname for him:"Pinker-Stinker." :D (I also call him "Buddy" and "Biggers;" my husband calls him "Moose.")

Around the time that I'd posted my list of potential names on RO, we got hit with the mite situation, which got all of my attention for many weeks'. Before I knew it,I'd just plain forgotten to settle upon a newname. :(

We've been calling him by his given name (and usually Pink) all this time and feel that it may confuse the daylights out of him if we were to change it now. (I'm still tempted, but I don't want to be unfair to him, either.)

I'm glad things went well for you and Pinkerton!

When I had "the incident" with the needles, I wasn't really too upset about sticking myself twice, I was more upset about not getting fluids into Nick, and wasting needles. (After I got my bleeding stopped, I did syringe some fluids.) He came out all right, so I can laugh about it now!

BethM wrote:
When I had "the incident" with the needles, I wasn't really too upset about sticking myself twice, I was more upset about not getting fluids into Nick, and wasting needles. (After I got my bleeding stopped, I did syringe some fluids.) He came out all right, so I can laugh about it now!
That thought hit me, too: the idea that you were likely very stressed about Nick not receiving the fluids that he needed at that time. I would've felt exactly the same (and likely would've cried a bit, too). And, also like you, I'd probably laugh about it later--even over my wig-out moment. :D

Jenk wrote:
My Cali boy needs at least one more dose of sub-Qs, after the vet discovered his stomach was very full with food material. He got sub-Qs yesterday in her office. (I administered them, but still had the vet tech. there for assistance, if needed).

Tonight, Hubby and I are going to give the fluids ourselves. Of course, I get to do the "sticking," as my guy isn't gung-ho on needles, much less on the idea inserting them into bona-fide skin. ;)

Jenk

Hi Jenk

What do you mean by very full with food material? He didn't poop enough or something? sorry I think it's something I should know to keep a look out on my own buns. :)

serenz wrote:
What do you mean by very full with food material? He didn't poop enough or something? sorry I think it's something I should know to keep a look out on my own buns. :)
His stomach felt really large; the vet detected a large amount of material in it, as well as fecals in his intestines. She said that his stomach was so full/stretched, it was pushing on his kidneys. (That might explain why he peed on the floor the night before his vet visit; his stomach may have pushed on his bladder at the time.)

When I'd tried massaging him, I didn't feel any gas breaking up; I suspect that's because he didn't really have much gas, but that it was food sitting in his stomach.

Afterhis discomfort started (around 11 pm at night), he stopped visiting his litter box. But as I massaged his digestive tract, some fecals actually came out of him! But he stopped going potty on his own.

Latest posts

Back