New litter and 1 month old kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azerane

Mod at Large
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm just after some advice for a friend. :) They took in two rabbits from a friend and were told they were both boys. Upon coming home one day they found a litter of kits Dec 2nd and promptly separated dad from mum and babies. Roughly 29 days on, mum is building another nest and they suspect she is about to give birth again.

With kits that are only just over 4 weeks old, what is recommended to be done? I'm assuming the kits should be separated from mum before she has her new litter, apparently they are eating solid food well. Is it possible to hold mum to let the previous litter feed from her once every couple of days to help support their growth and immune system, or is this not recommended? I know that kits weaned too early can have gut issues and are at risk of Coccidiosis which is why I'm wondering whether it's possible to still have an odd supplemental feed from mum. I also assume that the kits can't be kept with mum because she may get defensive about her new litter, or the previous kits may accidentally harm the new kits.

Any advice is much appreciated.

In my opinion your friend needs to wean them right now, they should do fine on solid food by now, maybe offer oatmeal additionly, and if they don't like the dry food maybe damp pellets and oatmeal somewhat for the start.
4 weeks is not too early, that's how it works in nature. I don't think there are risks involved that would justify much handling and forcing the doe to do this and that, and imho the first milk the kits get (Colostrum) is somewhat different, the new kits need that more than the old ones.

If she absolutly wants to supplement the older kits (I don't think they need it when they eat pellets and hay and whatever the doe gets) she can syringe feed them condensed goat milk (not cow or milk for kittens) -there's a formula aout there with added corn syrup and egg yolk, but that's for small kits and imho not really necessary here.

Last edited:
Agree, if the kits are eating pellets then no need for supplemental feeding from mom. To minimize stress I would keep the older kits together and push plenty of hay along with the pellets.

Thanks so much :) My knowledge on this was limited so I appreciate the help.

I removed the previous litter. And yep she was nesting, woke up to five babies this morning. I made a nesting box but she does not like it i think. She digs a hole in the fleece blanket i have in the cage i made for her. So i came up with the idea to place to fleece blankets one for the bottom and one that overlays it so the babies can be underneath.

For example this is what it looks like unsure how i am going to keep the cage clean due to her still pooping and peeing all over

IMG_9365.jpg

Latest posts

Back