Rescued rabbit, assumed to be pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyandHazel

Reaction score
We're now up to 7 rabbits since we rescued a few last week, so we are not new to rabbits, but we really just pick up strays and give them an home. A few years ago we had 2 "surprise" litters so I've been through the kindling process with larger breed twice but we've never intentionally bred rabbits.

Last week a friend called me about 3 dumped rabbits near her home so I went over and scooped them up. It was mom, dad, and one baby that was about 8 weeks.

I'm assuming mom is pregnant since she and dad were hanging out together (rabbits breed like rabbits, right?) and she's clearly had a litter before. Dad is definitely not neutered. I palpated her gently and cant find any "marbles", but I know once they are closer to kindling it can be harder to tell- she does have a pretty fat belly though. I gave her a nest box and she isn't pulling fur or building a nest.

I know is a wait and see game, but I'd love to be able to tell if she is actually pregnant without hauling her off for an xray (I wouldnt bother - she's separate from dad and has everything she needs, either she kindles in the next month or she doesnt). Any sage advice though? Thoughts on how else I might know if she's pregnant? She is super noisy and pretty grouchy when I put my hand in her cage...

Not really, without an X-ray. My daughter palpates and sometimes even she isn't sure. Not all does change behavior when they're pregnant but they usually seem hungrier than normal. Just wait and see!

Thats what I figured- thank you. I have no baseline since we just got her last week! Not sure if she's usually a grouch or how much she normally eats. Sigh.

if the baby is 8 weeks old, expect new babies any day now. Just wait it out. no xray needed. Though if she's close and a short haired rabbit you can often see the babies rolling around in the belly the week before they are born.

Latest posts

Back