Help please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiethebun

Reaction score
Okay so I got my rabbit from the humane society about 2 months ago and she is a year old, not spayed. Ever since I got her I have not been able to hold her and she barely lets me pet her. Also recently I finally got a mattress in my room but before I just had the bed frame. So I put wood at the edges so she couldn't get under. Now everytime I let her out of her pen she immediately goes to pull at it and is obsessed with getting under it. When I put my hand down or nudge her with my foot to move away from it she scratches and makes a grunting noise towards me. I'm not sure how to fix that or if you have any ideas on her warming up to me..? I'm not sure if spaying would help at all. But please let me know if you have any suggestions!!! Thank you!

Spayed females in my experience are much less aggressive than intact females. Some rabbits also simply hate being held (I think I would too if I were a bun!). Have you considered giving her other things to do such as putting treats in a puzzle for her? The obsessing over being under the bed sounds like boredom to me. The aggression may subside over time as she gets used to you (make sure to give her some treats when you pet her or whatever). However, I personally would start with a spay.

Treats, as I mentioned above, are awesome, but too many can give a bunny serious issues- so please be careful with that. I personally give my rabbits rabbit pellets (oxbow is my favorite brand) for treats, since they have some nutrition to them as well!

Good luck with your new bunny!

I think spaying could definitely help. I recommend sitting quietly and letting her come to you, then hand feed a pellet here and there while petting her a bit. I have had the same issue with my latest rescue bunny and in the last two weeks we have made good progress. He started out running away and growling at me. He even bit me like a cobra once. Now I give him a pellet here and there and pet him gently and he is becoming more tolerant. Today he even let me pet him knowing I had no food and seemed to almost enjoy it. Almost ;)
Good luck!

Took me almost a year before I could get my newest rescue to let me pet him where he actually ENJOYED it (gasp!). It's not an easy task, but it's worth it!

Latest posts

Back