tragic hello

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesG123

Reaction score
Hi,
Lurked for a while soaking up the accumulated wisdom. But now...

We had a "craigslist save" runty little lionhead rex "buck" that actually was a doe named Mr. Beardsly, that became Pumpkin. We added a buck, and then lots of trauma insued, including 2 failed liters from a combination of inexperienced mother and owners.

Well 2 days ago she died giving birth to 4 kits. 3 of which are hanging on. So I've thrown into the deep end of rabbit rearing. They are all very small and aren't taking formula very well, so things are iffy at this point.

Lost the two "healthy" kits today. I'm not sure why. They were doing "ok", but went down hill fast in 12 hrs. Maybe respiratory distress?

Ironically the mangy runt I thought would be the one to go is still hanging on. Maybe I focused too much feeding on trying to keep it alive?

Got it on a heating blanket set to low now, before it was the three huddled together in an insulated box and towel. Maybe I should have provided more heat? But its an even 75 degrees here....

runt.jpg

Last edited:
:( I wish I knew more about raising young rabbits and could help you! I'm so sorry about your losses and hope this one makes it. There are quite a few experienced breeders on here- they might have some better advise than I wold when they hop on!

Thanks, there IS a lot of rearing wisdom here and elsewhere on the net, but its the difference between knowing and doing...

Anyway, I don't she's going to make it thru the night. Its almost 2AM and she won't eat and keeps yawning and gasping. I think I actually resuscitated her once as she stretched out and then quite breathing until I started pulsing her abdomen.

As an update/happy ending, I thought I would mention that we found a "Craigslist save" doe, who, while has had a hard life, and has the attitude to show it, is an excellent momma. This year she has had 4 litters of 19 kits (!) . She and Bandit the buck just keep punching them out. We've managed to place all but 2 of the bunnies so far.

20170625_170304_resized.jpg

20170805_194511.jpg

Latest posts

Back