2017 Cages You've Made

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue eyes

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each year we start a new thread to show off our rabbit cages. Not only is it fun to see everyone's cages, it is also useful for new bunny owners.

Whether you've made a cage out of cube grids, exercise pen, xl dog crate, old furniture or any combination, we'd love to see it!

:big wink:As always, let's avoid :shhhh: discussion as much as possible.:shhhh:

:weee: We want this thread to be full of photos! :nicethread.

:wiggle So let's see your cages!!!! :wiggle​

Here are a couple photos of my temporary setup for bonding. Two side by side near identical enclosures about 2-3 inches apart. I use an x pen for extra protection when one or the other bunny is having their out time, so that they can't get to each other through the grids. I sincerely hope this is just a temporary thing because it takes up a bit of space- 8 feet long by 2.5 feet wide.

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

I bought Andy a dog play pen (it's nice, I can use it for indoor and outdoor use) he also has a dog crate attached to the playpen. I keep him in his dog crate at night. Still not sure if Andy can jump over the playpen, he hasn't gotten out yet so that's good :)

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Last edited:
43665211b3778e04dbc2c642c2480e9d.jpg

Just an x-pen for now.

Two tiny fluffballs have taken over my room. I blocked off about 1/3 of it to contain my bed (which they would pee all over if given the chance) and everything I care about. The rest is free for hopping/destroying. There's a baby gate in the doorway and their cage is never closed. Unfortunately they spend most of their time inside (or on the shelf underneath) of it anyways because they've gotten super lazy with age. I am away at college most months now so my mom hangs out with them and cares for them. This setups was easier for her to clean and maintain than the condo they had previously.

room.jpg

room cage.jpg

This isn't a permanent cage. It was used for a couple weeks while we were on vacation at a cabin.

Also.... bumping this thread. Please add more photos for the benefit of others visiting this site. :wiggle

100_8894.jpg

Well here is my current setup for Cali. I incorporated that weird "wet bar" cabinet. Blocked off the water lines in there so she can't get at them but still has a little cave to hide in. One issue though is that I want to put something soft in there for her to lie on but she likes to dig and destroy. I tried a memory foam bath mat but she killed it. I don't want her eating pieces of that either. So any suggestions are welcome.

IMG_1610.jpg

Well here is my current setup for Cali. I incorporated that weird "wet bar" cabinet. Blocked off the water lines in there so she can't get at them but still has a little cave to hide in. One issue though is that I want to put something soft in there for her to lie on but she likes to dig and destroy. I tried a memory foam bath mat but she killed it. I don't want her eating pieces of that either. So any suggestions are welcome.

Maybe get rid of the bottom cc cubes and put a big rug down. I bought a nonslip one from target that was pretty cheap.

The picture is sideways I don't know why. The floor of her enclosure is a utility mat from a hardware store, and it's hard. She used to have a cushier one but started chewing it. What I am looking for is a smallish mat that she can sleep on, but can chew if she feels like it. Something made of grass or the like. The ones they sell in the pet store are too small. And of course a lot of stuff is treated with god knows what. So I'm kind of stumped.

Sorry I know this is not a discussion thread. Will start a new one..

Here's my cage, it hasn't changed since I built it for Bandit, I bought extra grids ages ago to make the second level taller, just haven't done it yet. And now there is a playpen attached to the front, whereas Bandit had almost whole-house access.

Cage1.jpg

Mine haven't changed either, but my two live in these all day while we are gone- but get free run of the apartment in the morning (from 5 am to about 9 am) and in the evenings (from about 5 pm to 10 pm)- longer if we have a day off! Ignore how messy my apartment is in the picture- it's not normally this bad. We were in the middle of re-organizing. :p And of course Whiskey likes to spread his hay all over the floor so it looks like we never clean.

0924161306.jpg

1001160737.jpg

1013161631.jpg

I have all this right now. It looks bland, trying to figure out what more I can do for it. He seems to really enjoy it though. Which is all that matters right now :) when I'm not home I just close the second part of the cage so he can still run around and play.

View attachment 18588
View attachment 18589

Looks good! Be careful though - he may decide to make the hay bin into a litter box. You can just put the hay directly in the litter box. They like to munch while they potty.

I don't own any bunnies but this is the setup for my foster momma and 9 kits... she started in the pen and then once I knew she wasn't a chewer she now has the full room. I plan on giving her more high areas so she can get away from the babies for breaks but open to any other suggestions anyone might have!
fdda6697c2c78572f02f272bed2a4a50.jpg

171d8cd75fa9c3673a239bda9a797e5a.jpg

Looks good! Be careful though - he may decide to make the hay bin into a litter box. You can just put the hay directly in the litter box. They like to munch while they potty.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to do that :)

I unfortunately have to work on a serious budget since I'm disabled. So my cages aren't ever pretty, but they are functional and my rabbits seem to always enjoy them. This is Sadie's new night cage, it's a work in progress as I haven't been able to add her shelves and other toys since it's so late (11pm) and they need to be cleaned (I at least added her favorite baseball). I've got other NIC panels I attach onto the cage during the day so she can run around my office safely. I know she'll be very happy once the shelves are up, given she's quite the little climber. The rug is a camping rug that can be hosed down outside if accidents are made. Note to viewers, yes, her litter box is dirty, it's a brand new cage, and she has a horrible habit of accidents when it comes to new set up +a clean litter pan. So I leave the filthy one in a few days until she adjusts herself. She seems to be pretty happy with her new digs so far, especially her little hidden house.

0508172259.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back