Why does he attack me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudisowa

Reaction score
About 2 weekes ago I bought a 9-month old malerabbit. He was given back to the pet shop by his previous ownersbecause apparently their kids were allergic to him. For the first twoweeks he was a quiet and nosy rabbit - I let him run freely around thehouse when I was back from work. Today, when I was cleaning his cage heattacked and bit be for the first time. It happend again later on inthe day when he was running freely and I was kneeling on the floor - hejump up to me and bit me in the leg. Why is he doing it and how can Iteach him notto do that?

Perhaps, "allergic reactions" was not the onlyreason for the return of the rabbit, hey? In any case, youhave him, so let's proceed from there.

Some rabbits are more aggressive than others by nature. Manyare very territorial when it comes to their cage and resent theintrusion of you hand(s), especially at rabbit's eye level.I've read they are less prone to aggressiveness if approached fromabove, assuming your cage opens from the top as well.

Aggressiveness can also develop with puberty, which your bun hasobviously reached. That can be ameliorated somewhat, and thebuns bun's health improved with increased longevity by getting himcastrated. It also will reduce the propensity for urinespraying and sexually mounting objects, if he hasn't yet displayedthose symptoms.

Some people suggest treating aggressiveness by, "killing them withkindness." That is by giving them threats and stroking them,without being bitten obviously, until they learn that you mean them noharm. Others suggest spritzing them in the face with a water pistol orspray bottle each time the bun demonstrates an aggressive behavior.

When all is said an done, you've only had him two weeks and you don'tknow the situation he has come from. Give him a little moretime to get acclimated to you and his new home before you become toojudgmental about him. He may mellow out and settle down oncehe recognizes he has nothing to fear from you.

Male buns often take to women more easily than to men. Coocooing to a bun in a high pitch, kind of like talking to a baby, oftengets them to settle down and feel less fearful.

The House Rabbit Society's Internet site generally carries a lot ofgood information regarding rabbit behavior and is worth investigating,if you haven't done so already.

Buck

Hi, It's apparent that the reason he was returnedwas because of his aggressive behavior, not allergies! I would suggesthaving him neutered as soon as you can. Having this done will calm himdown, quite a bit. When you first got him, he was frightened andnervous. During the past 2 weeks, he has become comfortable in hissurroundings. I have always been leary of sticking my hand into my Bunscage (when they were caged). Rabbits are extremely territorial...theircage, for example, is their den (their safe place) and they will"protect" it from all intruders. I had a rabbit that would attack yourankles when you walked past his chair (at least, he would grunt beforehe lunged so we knew he was coming!). Needless to say, we avoided thatarea!! When he jumped onto you and bit, I don't think it was to hurtyou. It sounds as though he was very excited and didn't realize that hehurt you. I hope you let out a big "ouch"! They understand more thanmist people think they do. There might have been an issue with thefamily/children that he was with before. Hence, the aggression. As Isaid, neutering will calm him down. Patience, understanding, andgentleness on your part will bring him around. I think he has thepotential to be a wonderful companion. Good luck. Charlotte

Are we talking only about males here? Because mybunny doesn't care what we do to her cage.. If I could sit in therewith her she'd let me lol. She's never jumped at me or anything orshown any sign of being territorial. If anything she loves seeing myhands in there because she knows she's either getting fed again, a bigpetting or hug, or being let out to play :)

Thank you ever so much for your reply. It's trueI've had him for a very short time, and we still need more time to getused to each other, but I must say his bite was pretty painful andscared me a little. As to castration my vet suggested it as well but Ithink I'll wait a little with that. And I sure will think twice beforeI stick my hand into his cage again:D

Marta

Dear Dudisowa,

Not sticking your hand in the cage isn't going to help much in the longrun. Your rabbit won't get used to you. You'll still have to get hisnails clipped each couple of weeks, tops, so at some point, you'll haveto take the 'bull by the horns'.

It's true that your rabbit needs neutering. I wouldn't expect him tocalm down unless you do get him neutered and/or take time with him;talking to him, putting your hand first on the outside of the cage orjust inside to door so that he gets used to you. Respect his space,talk to him some more, watch him relax as he gets to know you, don't bein a rush or afraid when you do approach him. When you're cleaning thecage, can he be let out so that he's not so affected by thatdisturbance? If not, just clean the cage and don't try to pet him whenyou're doing that task. Don't try to pick him up. For now, at this timesince he's still new to your household, just sit with him, talk to him,and let him smell you without you trying to pet him. Trust is builtslowly, but once you have it, you're Golden!

Don't wait to get him neutered if at all possible. If money is an issue, talk to a shelter and see what they would recommend.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back