Need some advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UmbreShaun95

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I've been feeling so bad about this situation that I thought maybe other rabbit owners could help me out.

In August of 2016 we got a bunny off of Craigslist, a little black and white mini rex. He is a great pet and besides being a bit chewy at times, he was very sweet and we'll behaved.

I had heard for awhile that rabbits seek companionship and since I'm at work most of the day I thought it would only be right to get my bunny a friend to play with while I was gone. Without a whole lot of research, we picked a local male rescue bunny out and brought him home, after the buns fought and what not the first day, I figured out that the shelter bunny was neutered while our first bun is not. I haven't had the money to get him neutered yet, so I've kept them apart using a wooden baby gate, so they can still see and hear and smell each other, while they don't act particularly aggressive towards one and another, I realize there won't be any progress towards a bond until after I get my first bun neutered.

I just feel so bad because my bunny was so happy before the introduction of the other bunny, he used to blinky and hop around and just be super active and sweet, now he just kind of hides and is antisocial. Not to mention that the shelter bunny is very shy and cautious, I don't feel like he'll ever settle in.

I don't know what to do, I'll admit I was in over my head thinking because one bunny was easy then two wouldn't be much more work. I love both of these bunnies a lot but overall I just want them both to have happy lives. Looking back I wish I'd have thought this more through it would have saved a lot of time and face. My question is what should I do? Give the shelter bunny back and let the other bunny live freely alone? Or should I get the other bunny and neutered and see if that improves the situation? I don't know if they have become accustomed to each other and would be depressed if I removed them from each other. I just feel like a horrible owner it gives me such anxiety and makes me feel terrible I just want them to be happy . Anyways if any of this is unclear please feel free to ask questions, it's 2am as I write this so my brain may be miles away by now. I would appreciate any advice you all can dish out, thanks in advance.

A rescue let you adopt a male bunny when you already had a male? I don't know why people keep on doing this - males generally don't get along, it's really risky and not a good idea at all when you are not a rabbit expert, to try to bond two males. There are no guarantee that they will ever get along. Same sex pairs are not something I recommend ever.

I agree rabbits are happier in pairs. As in neutered male / spayed female pairs. Of course, there are exceptions, but for every person who will tell you that two males worked out great for them, you will find 10 posts of people asking for help because their rabbits are fighting.
I suggest you neuter your rabbit. It's never a bad idea anyway as it prevents some cancers (it's not as big a concern as for females, but still) and will stop the unwanted hormonal behaviors that could appear one day before they begin (like marking with urine, territorial or aggressive behaviors - some rabbits don't have them, some rabbits have them almost from the start, some don't have them and wake up dirty and bitey one day for no reason). Then I'd try bonding with the rabbits you already have. Two rabbits aren't really more work than one, that is, once the bonding process is done. The bonding process can consist in putting two rabbits together and basta, but it can be very long and difficult when the rabbits don't immediately like each other - considering you've chosen the most complicated scenario, it might be hard to achieve. But it's not completely impossible. If one of them is submissive, it can work.
If the rabbits really can't get along, I would give the new guy back to the rescue and look for a spayed female. Bringing a spayed female on a neutered male territory generally goes pretty well and is often not difficult to achieve if you follow the bonding process correctly (introductions in a neutral small space with lots of nice food and a human armed with some water to spray in case things go wrong, letting the rabbits pick who's boss by humping a bit, waiting until they are calm and agreable to put them together into their living space free of previous smells and of places where one of the rabbits could be cornered, mainly). Of course, there are exceptions : a male / female pairing can go awry, but it's quite rare. And that's the beauty of rescues : you can take them back if it doesn't work out. Sure, it's not pleasant but it's better than to spend the next 7-9 years with 2 rabbits who hate each other and have to be kept separated all the time.

I'll add that hormones take several weeks to disappear completely from the rabbit's system. So, no putting them together two days after the neuter or you're in for a nasty surprise.

If you would like your bun to have a bunny friend, get him neutered then wait at least 4 weeks before attempting to bond them, as this gives time for the residual hormones to subside. There is no guarantee that the bond will work though. Some rabbits just do not like each other. But there is a chance that they will really like each other once your other male is neutered. No way to really know for sure until you try. And yes, two males can get along just fine. Male/female is usually considered the best pairing, with female/female usually the most difficult. But what it really comes down to is compatible personalities. But while your boy has his hormones getting in the way, it's impossible to know if your two are compatible or not.

While you are deciding what to do, you might have better luck getting your unneutered buck to be happy again by separating them into completely different rooms, as far away from each other as possible and not in sight or sound of each other. Also wash hands and even changing clothes in between handling either of them can help as well, to get the other buns scent off of you, especially when handling your unneutered bun as he will be the most territorial. This may also help your neutered bun as well, as it might be making him more nervous and shy to have a territorial hormonal male bun wanting to fight with him.

Take the other bunny back, I know it sucks and you feel bad but it's best to take back the other bun and get your boy neutered first and then try and find him a buddy.

Maybe the rescue will let you exchange the new guy for a spayed doe? Once your guy is neutered and his hormones have settled down a male female relationship has better odds of working out. Don't feel bad, we live and we learn. And rabbits are not as straightforward as it would seem.

Don't feel bad. You realized it and it's better late then never.

It's up to you what you want to do. Like stevesmum said you can call the shelter and tell them that it's not working out and ask if you can return him and see if they will let you get another rabbit (when your ready) for free. I would call them and discuss your options, you don't have to make a decision right away just see what they say.

From your description it doesn't sound like you have 2 separate cages that you can keep far away from each other. Before getting another rabbit I would make sure to have this before trying again.

Don't be discouraged. Just do more research, ask questions, and make a plan and back up plan if you want to try to bond later. And yes bunnies are typically happier with company. Bonding can take a long time that's why you need to make sure you have the ability to completely separate them for a while.

Thanks for the kind words and sound advice everyone. We decided to take the shelter bun back earlier this week, we honestly don't have enough room to give him his own space, and won't have money to have the other bun neutered for awhile, so i thought he would have a better chance at a new home, it was a relief to see how happy he was when they put him in his space at the shelter. My bun at home seems a lot happier as well, he's back to laying out in front of the tv and exploring like his life depends on it. All in all I was sort of sad to bring the shelter buck back because I felt like I had failed him or something, but in reality, this the better situation for everyone at the moment. The shelter was nice enough to give us our adoption fee back as credit to get a new critter, but honestly I think we will Wait until our buck is neutered and then maybe adopt a spayed doe. I'm going to stick around here and learn what I can from you all, I want to be a better bun owner! Thanks again every one

honestly I think we will Wait until our buck is neutered and then maybe adopt a spayed doe. I'm going to stick around here and learn what I can from you all, I want to be a better bun owner! Thanks again every one

Yes, I think that's a good idea. If you take another rabbit before neutering, you will find yourself in the same situation. It's doable only if you have the space to separate until everyone is neutered / spayed and healed (and it's not a good situation to be in because intact rabbits tend to be really hormonal when there is another rabbit in the house - I did it and will never do it again if I can help it ^^).
If you haven't read it, I think you might find interesting informations on the website of the house rabbit society too. They've got a ton of good articles about everything and it helped me a lot when I got my first rabbit (they've got a lot of things about bonding):
http://rabbit.org/category/care/

Yeah... I have three buns myself. I thought maybe I could bond my single with my duo... And well.. That definitely didn't work. Pippi (little Holland Lop) absolutely beat the fur off of the duo (separate occasions of course) and they're each twice her size. Poor Ellie was trying to be nice and groom Pippi, but Pippi wouldn't accept that at all. We ended up having to build a rabbit condo for Butterscotch and Ellie downstairs, and Pippi has the upstairs.. If they can smell each other, Butterscotch and Pippi get all territorial, and Ellie just wants to make a new friend. :-(

Non-bonding rabbits is definitely a possibility when you have more than one... And Pippi loves the fact that she has the upstairs to herself.

Latest posts

Back