Cooling rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
eab32bfe12da6d9ce77888042131cfa0.jpg

Would this be safe to keep a bunny cool? I saw this at my Marshall's and I thought it was a good idea seeing how my condo always gets really warm.

If your rabbit dosent chew on it I assume it would be fine. But I am not sure what would happen if your rabbit chewed it.

There are better options. I wouldnt trust a rabbit to not chew that.
Chilled ceramic or marble tiles.
Frozen water bottles.
Fans for air movement (with lots of room away from its blowing)
Spritz their ears with water gently.

Re the marble tiles, you can get thick slabs called "Chin-chillers" (for Chinchillas) at pet stores. I am guessing you could get marble slabs more cheaply at Home Depot as well, they're about a quarter to a half inch thick. Get two of them, that way you can keep one in the fridge while using the other and swap them back and forth.

I have a dog who's prone to overheating. I give her a water dish with ice cubes in it to help her keep cool. Once when my air conditioner broke down I just filled a stainless steel bowl with water, froze it and gave it to her. I tried one of those cooling gel packs but my pup chews everything, and within minutes it was in bits all over the place.

Most likely, your bun is going to chew that thing up. I also put ice cubes in my rabbit's water bowl (same as BlackRabbits did for a dog), and ice in their water bottle. Also, If you can, a great idea is to fill some sort of bottle (I like milk jugs) up with water, freeze them, and put them with my rabbits. They will lay right beside it to keep themselves cool.

if you do use it, i would put some fleece (or other fabric) on top, it's not that bad of an idea just as long as the bunny does not chew it.
Frozen water bottles are great! my bunny loves to lick the water condensation off of a frozen bottle.
I've seen some people put a sock or fleece over the bottle as well.

My rabbits love the water bottle too. We use the thicker gatorade bottles, since i figure Pippi would chew it. Lol. Butterscotch and Ellie like to roll theirs around after they melt, so finding them to refreeze them can be a chore

Latest posts

Back