Bunny breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
I know that all bunnies are individuals and they have their own personalities, but do you think certain breeds have common personality traits? Like sometimes I see these small lop bunnies and they look like they have low energy, where other breeds have higher energy. Just wondering what anyone's thoughts were on that.

i'v never noticed small lop bunnies having low energy?
my mini rex can be hyper in the morning and evening, a little lazy through out the day (not to lazy though)
i'm not sure on other breeds, hopefully someone can help :)

Last edited:
I've observed with different animals that personality can be determined by many factors. With breeds, personality can be determined by both genetics and the purpose that the breed was created for. For example, in dogs, terrier breeds are usually feisty, busy, stubborn and independent. This is because they're bred to dig up and hunt down vermin independently, the owner just lets them go to do their job without much guidance. But that doesn't mean every terrier is exactly the same.

In rabbits there are some breeds which are reputed to have certain personality traits. One example is the giant breeds like Flemish Giants or New Zealands. The giants have a reputation for being docile and friendly. This comes in handy when you're handling a 20 lb rabbit on the farm or the show bench! Of course, they might not be so docile if they're a big, un-neutered bunny full of rampaging hormones.

Here's a chart listing rabbit breeds. Some of the breed names have links to a summary page listing their traits including personality. I would consider these as guidelines only, but it's an interesting read:

http://www.justrabbits.com/rabbit-breeds-list.html#gs.NaF=lz8

In my personal experience lop breed rabbits tend to have,attitude , food loving,intelligent, and love the attention. Jersey wooly tend to be extremely docile, very loving, cuddly. I have had a holland lop, mini lop and French lop. And every single lop I have had has a lot of attitude .

Latest posts

Back