Allergies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
Ok so I get so confused when reading about allergies and rabbits. I have had 3 rabbits in my lifetime. All of which were short haired, a lop, an American and A mix of something. And I have always been allergic to them. Their short hair sheds so much and gets everywhere even after adequate grooming and that's what kills my allergies. I have always been allergic to animals with short hair, like all cats, short hair dogs like pugs/bull dogs Bc their hair sheds so much. But I have been fine with longer hair that doesn't shed like poodles or old English sheepdogs. So I am thinking an angora rabbit would be good for me Bc their hair is wool and though it's longer there is less shedding. But everywhere I read says not to get one Bc they hold more dander with longer hair and to get a Rex Bc they have shorter hair. But to me, the opposite seems to be true. So maybe I'm not allergic to the dander and I'm allergic to the actually fur? Who know. Anyone have any similar experience? Anyone allergic to other rabbits but not angoras?

Ok so I get so confused when reading about allergies and rabbits. I have had 3 rabbits in my lifetime. All of which were short haired, a lop, an American and A mix of something. And I have always been allergic to them. Their short hair sheds so much and gets everywhere even after adequate grooming and that's what kills my allergies. I have always been allergic to animals with short hair, like all cats, short hair dogs like pugs/bull dogs Bc their hair sheds so much. But I have been fine with longer hair that doesn't shed like poodles or old English sheepdogs. So I am thinking an angora rabbit would be good for me Bc their hair is wool and though it's longer there is less shedding. But everywhere I read says not to get one Bc they hold more dander with longer hair and to get a Rex Bc they have shorter hair. But to me, the opposite seems to be true. So maybe I'm not allergic to the dander and I'm allergic to the actually fur? Who know. Anyone have any similar experience? Anyone allergic to other rabbits but not angoras?

It's normal for long haired pets to be less allergenic than the short haired ones. That's because most people are allergic to the dander or skin oils rather than the fur itself.

When I was growing up we kept Siamese cats. My mother developed severe asthma and would wheeze if a cat got too close to her. The doctor told her to get rid of the cats (we didn't). Years later when my mother retired, she wanted another cat. My sister bought her a flat faced Persian. This cat didn't make her wheeze at all, even though my mother had to brush it thoroughly every day. Since then my mother has always owned long haired cats with no trouble for her asthma. I have two Sphynx, my mother can't stand to be around them for more than a couple of minutes. I'm always telling people not to believe the myth that hairless pets are "hypoallergenic" (there's no such thing as "hypoallergenic" pets!)

With rabbits, a lot of people get rid of them due to allergies, when the real culprit is the hay. Allergy to hay is far more common than allergy to rabbits. If you haven't already, you might want to get tested to see what you're actually allergic to. That way you won't go out and buy a new longhaired rabbit and then find you're still reacting because of the hay.

Thanks for much! I have hay in the house now, (I'm getting ready to buy an angora). And I'm fine. I just want to make sure I'm not allergic to this bunny before I get it.

Latest posts

Back