Rabbit Supply Resources?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdubbz117

Reaction score
Since it's looking like one of the two additional buns may be with us for a while, in light of a lot of hoarding cases being broken up in my state (and general area, for that matter). In due time, we may surrender and end up keeping the younger male rabbit as well, depending on how long it is.

So we have three rabbits in the house for the unforeseeable future. I've been using the supplies and food that I was given with the rabbits. However, they have Kaytee pellets and that Carefresh mixture bedding with the pine (ick!) wood shavings that is used in their litter pans.

Harriett's pan is actually the base of the cage the previous owner got when he took her in. So it's big. She likes to keep half of the pan clean and use as a bed. Right now, I have a 50/50 split of newspaper pellet litter and that Carefresh bedding- since it's the only bedding I've got. The other half is her potty spot, based on where she went to the bathroom in the pan.

I prefer the newspaper kitty litter-- but since these two buns have rather big litter pans, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any dependable websites for getting bunny supplies like the litter I use in my bun Sweet Pea's litter pan... Even reputable pellet food (I've been using Oxbow for my buns and would live to stick with it), toys, hay, etc.

I've seen that Youtube bunny owners do their bunny supply shopping online, but I've never found links to what online shops they use for different things... Just wondering if anyone knows of any online shops that have fair prices/could save in the cost department while I house three buns under my roof?

binkybunny.com is the only one that I know. I'm not sure about their prices though.

If you're looking for inexpensive litter, get the wood pellets. They look exactly like the pelleted paper litter but cost way less. You can find wood stove pellets at home improvement stores or get wood pellet horse bedding at feed stores. A 40lb bag is about $4-$7, depending on local costs.

Buying hay by the bale or half bale from a feed store will also save lots of money.

I've purchased Oxbow pellets by the 50 lb bag in the past and then put it in gallon ziplock bags and stored them in an extra refrig. I'm afraid I can't remember where I bought that. Maybe someone on here will remember -- there was a discussion thread on it way back when.

I have a few shortcuts I use to save money on bunny supplies.

Check your local want ads for a farmer who sells and delivers fresh cut bales of hay. I found one who even has a website, he told me he makes more money selling hay, straw and pine shavings to pet owners than he does with his other farm products! Some farmers will also sell half bales if you don't want to store a whole one. It's incredible the amount of money you can save by buying a bale instead of those dinky little bags at the pet store.

I use my paper shredder to make bedding for a lot of my small pets. I shred light cardboard boxes (like cereal boxes) as well as kleenex and paper towel, mixed in with the paper. This makes the bedding last longer and it's more absorbent. Less garbage to take out as well.

I buy big 50 lb bags of pellets, I don't buy the little 10 lb bags anymore. That saves a lot of money! In a pinch, if you have other small pets you can use rabbit pellets for their litter boxes.

I also buy the wood stove pellets. Despite the fact that I'm in Canada, I can only get them during fall/winter from October to March. So I stock up, 4 bags does me for a year - $5 for a 50 lb bag.

In the grocery store I check the "clearance" shelves in the vegetable aisle, it's a great way to save on greens if they have stuff rabbits will eat. They usually do. Some grocery chains even repackage blemished fruit and vegetables and sell them cheap.

I buy a lot of things like litterboxes, toys and tunnels at dollar stores. I buy thin rubber backed mats for their pens. When they chew them or they get dirty, I just toss them out. Same with the tunnels. Some dollar stores even sell a cheap version of the CC cubes people buy to build cages. These are too cheap and flimsy to build a cage, but you can still use them to make walls and shelves. You can get food/water bowls, but I don't recommend ceramic because it's probably from China, and the glaze is full of lead and other toxins. Stainless steel is safer.

Another place for litterboxes, especially for big rabbits, is Wal-Mart or Home Depot or Lowes, they all sell big plastic tubs for a few bucks. If they only sell tall ones, you can cut them down to size with a saw, tin snips or a Dremel/drill cut off wheel.

I buy heavy untreated pine storage crates at Home Depot, my rabbits and rats love to hide in them and chew them. They come in a range of sizes. I got a funny look when I asked the staff if these boxes are kiln dried (no smelly oils). Luckily I found a label that said they were. Once in a while I even store things in those crates!

I raid the scrap lumber bins at Home Depot and get free untreated wood, which I cut at home with a hacksaw to make chew toys. I simmer the bits of wood in a pot with berries (blueberries, raspberries etc.) or carrots to colour them and add a bit of nice flavour for the bunnies. Sometimes I take my drill, make holes in the bits of wood and string them on an old dog chain to hang inside their pen.

I also raid the scrap ceramic tile bins, and use an upside down tile in their cage to keep their claws trimmed. You can make a dig box out of a plastic tub, put the tile(s) on the bottom so they scratch them as they dig. Put something they like to dig in on top of the tiles.

Latest posts

Back