Bunny chasing cat???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackMiniRex

Reaction score
I have a cat that hunts outside (one time it caught a baby bunny! I of course released it) but for some reason he knows anything inside is off limits(?)
Andy (who is intact, going to be neutered soon) for some reason hates the cat, especially when in the bunny room, I took them both to my room, (andy has been in my room before so has the cat) and Andy still chased and grunted at the cat, the cat just ignores him or runs away. Since I can't get another rabbit right now I was hoping the cat and him could be friends to keep him company (I geuss not)
Is this because Andy is still intact and is territorial? He has never fought me when I go near his cage. Will this go away when I go to get him neutered?

(Wasn't sure which forum topic to put it in)

Last edited:
I can sure relate to this situation! My Zelda is a spayed doe, and I have four cats. Her bonded partner is Stewart, a neutered Netherland Dwarf. Stewart is shy and steps back to allow Zelda to fulfill the duties of "security patrol".

Zelda and Stewart live in a big cc condo with attached pen, the door is always open and they go in and out of the condo freely. The cats can go in and out of the cage and pen as well.

Zelda reacts to each cat in a different way. I have one little Sphynx named Mitsou, who thinks she's a rabbit. She sits and hangs out with the rabbits and even enters the pen to share their hay when I put fresh hay down! She does the same with the guinea pigs. This little baldy is completely accepted as one of them. I've even seen Zelda bunt her asking to be groomed. My other Sphynx doesn't go in as often but likes to sit on one of the high shelves. She gets a pass from Zelda as well.

Then there's Victor the Siamese. Zelda took a dislike to him the moment she first laid eyes on him. She rushed right at him, grunting. Two years later she treats him the same way. He's only allowed to approach the bars of the pen from outside to nibble a bit of hay, but if he stares into the pen the Security Patrol shows up and gives him the heave-ho! He knows to stay out of the rabbit pen but she watches for him anyway.

I am guessing that the cat/rabbit relationship is similar to two rabbits bonding. Either they get along or they don't, depending on individual personalities and behaviours. Perhaps the rabbit senses that your cat is up to no good or that the cat has a high prey drive, and that's what's causing him to chase the cat. Watch your cat around the cage, if he tends to stare fixedly at the rabbit (Victor does this), the bunny will feel uncomfortable and threatened.

I once had a rabbit (he was definitely neutered) and he hated the cat. He would chase any cat he saw, no matter what it was doing. Often if my cat was sleeping on the floor, she would wake up to grunts, bites, etc. He never grew out of that one. My current rabbits, however, are very different. One simply tolerates the cat, and the other loves her almost to a fault. So it definitely depends on the rabbits' and cats' individual personality. There is a chance neutering may help since it can reduce territoriality. But it may not.

Thanks, yes peanut (our cat) will try to get away from the rabbit but will sit on top of his cage and stare down at Andy. It sometimes seems like Andy is trying to sniff the cat but the cat runs away, then if Andy does manage to get close he charges.

Could Andy just be trying to play? (I'm not really
Sure how bunnies play with each other)

I always thought that rabbits would hate cats because they are prey and cat has hunting instincts

Whiskey (black and white bun) follows Mushroom (cat) EVERYWHERE. When he is out of his cage, he will try to follow her to the moon and back. He even figured out how to climb up her cat tree so she couldn't get away from him that way. She is generally very good with him, but walks away when he gets too annoying. Often they chase each other (they literally will take turns)- which is pretty adorable.

4-19.jpg

Latest posts

Back