Cecal poos- take a moment to read please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhoenixTheMiniLop

Reaction score
Hey guys asking another question only because I've just gotten home and noticing some soft black poos as well as some cecal poops(more than normal) and I'm wondering why this is happening?? She does get the occasional but not this much.
She is around 13 weeks old and has fresh water and unlimited hay everyday as well as her oxbow young rabbit alfalfa pellets.
Why are her poos like this????

My little guy was like that as a baby. They were everywhere, I switched to a different type of food and that seemed to help. Lately he's been doing it again (he's a year now) and the vet suggested bene bac probiotics. I bought a pack yesterday

When rabbit have lots of cecal poos it can be because the diet is too high in protein and too rich. I would cut way back on pellets, so that the bunny is more hungry for hay and eats mostly hay for 24 hours. If the poos go back to normal then you will know it is too many pellets, or the pellets themselves causing the problem. If it doesn't go back to normal or gets worse, after a mostly hay diet, then you might have to make sure your rabbit doesn't have anything like coccidiosis by going to the vet.

Also should add, it can also be from too many greens or from introducing new greens the rabbit has never tried before.

Does she get any treats or veggies? Could she have gotten into any crumbs of people food? Can you tell if it is mushy cecals or if it is the round fecal poop that is soft? Was it just a one time thing yesterday or have you found more today? Any loud stomach gurgling or bloated looking belly?

Squidpop; her diet hasn't changed though, I was giving her grass as well but took that out of her diet only because she was producing quite a lot of cecal poos and then it all was good and her poos were healthy and now all of a sudden it has gone back...? I'm confused. I will admit I don't measure her pellets out properly but I give her around the same amount each day. So yes I will cut back on the pellets and see how that goes, she does love her oaten hay so I know she will definitely want to eat a lot of it! As for greens I haven't introduced any as of yet. So thanks for that info :)

Jbun; she doesn't eat greens as of yet but does get treats such as Oxbow Timothy treats which she loves! she will only get 2-3 a day max, and no it's not possible for her to of gotten into any human foods. Yesterday they were cecal poops like little grapes stuck together and black but all amongst them and today as well they are her normal pellet poops that are quite black and a lot softer than her usual ones and moist too. No stomach gurgling that I can hear and not too sure about a bloated belly, I have trouble keeping her still long enough to feel her down there..

So what could be causing this?

Is she eating lots of hay? Because usually eating lots of hay will keep poos healthy.

Yes she eats a lot of oaten hay everyday, everytime I put fresh hay down she runs for it. She loves it!

I gave her a lot less of pellets this morning and haven't noticed any black soft poos, so maybe I was feeding too many pellets and maybe it was upsetting her tummy.
I feel like I didn't give her enough this morning but i know she can't starve because she has unlimited hay and she eats a lot of it.

Hey guys asking another question only because I've just gotten home and noticing some soft black poos as well as some cecal poops(more than normal) and I'm wondering why this is happening??
She is around 13 weeks old and has fresh water and unlimited hay everyday as well as her oxbow young rabbit alfalfa pellets.
Why are her poos like this????

13 weeks old. Starting to mature. Hormones are kicking in. SOME does but not all, when their hormones are busy they get softer poos. Not sure why this is as I have researched it, just something I've noticed.

More cecals... sometimes also related to hormones, might be a protein issue... just means you need to keep her busier to use it up. Keeping her busier will help with her hormones as well. :)

Not sure if this is correct or not but it may be the alfalfa based pellets? Just a shot in the dark because I know when I started switching my first bunny over to adult oxbow she seemed to produce less, and with my second bun I just started him on the adult food and never noticed a large amount of pellets.
Like I said though I have no idea if that could be it!

I'll have to keep an eye on those hormones then haha she is so cheeky! And not sure if it's the alfalfa pellets cause I have less of them to her and her poos improved so maybe I was feeding too much for her tummy to handle? But I'm keeping an eye on her. Thanks for that everyone :)

Latest posts

Back